1996 Force 120 shifting problems

ddelamerced

Cadet
Hey just reinstalled a used lower and did maintenance, everything went fine but is having issues shifting or making a adjustment on the shift cam. When I got it out on the water neutral seem to engage the motor forward and it wasnt idling still. When I shift forward it will throttle the boat forward but when I shift into reverse it also makes the boat go forward. How do I adjust or fix this issue? Any tips or tricks in adjusting the lower unit shift cam with the upper? or any ideas on how I get neutral to be neutral and reverse go reverse?

OldNBold51

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1996 Force 120 shifting problems

While boat trailered and not running, shift into N at control box and see if in fact you're in N by spinning prop. Try F/N/R and see if you can get into all 3. If not, you'll need to tear into the lower unit to fix the shifting arm that is inside the lower unit.

Often times the unexperienced, while doing a gear oil change, will pull the shift linkage pin which is located on the starboard side of the lower unit "bullet". it is often mistaken for the drain plug. This long pin is next to impossible to reinstall correctly as it is critical to the shifting of the F/R gears.

note: i just reread and noticed yours is a '96. The model I am familiar with is the 89. i don't know if the 2 lower units are similar. If not, disregard my post.