charging help please 125 force

tds1774

Seaman
ok here we go again. heres what is happening;
I made sure there was a good charge on the 2 batteries first off. theyre fairly new all the connections @ terminals r tight & no corrosion to speak of. motors cold natured so it takes a few turns to get the motor started which pulls alot of juice. the starter motor gets hot as fire! I took the starter apart there was a strong smell of brushes , 1 brush was stuck in the guide I freed it up and sanded all the brushes and where it contacts the windings. I have not tried to start since ( letting batteries charge). I bench tested the stator according to the repair manual the test showed good on all leads. have not done a running output test will do that as soon as I get it started. I also tested the rectifier according to manual it also tested good. with 1 battery, If the motor starts quickly, I can run for about 15 - 20 min thenit dies and dosent have enough power to crank the motor.on tyhe hose I've had it running for over an hour at idle. I dont have any accessories on the boat, just the basics, night running lights,and lights on the dash. thats it other than the motor. I am going to try disconnecting the wiring harness to the boat, isolate the motor from the boat wiring , start it to see if Im haveing the same problem. assuming there is not a drain on the battery from the wiring and it is isolated to the motor what would be some causes of this problem. Im hoping that the starter motor is the culprit, and I fixed it when I took it apart. I have read through the forum for 2 days now. alot of people have had similar problems but havent seen anywhere that it was solved. someone has the answers I need. thanks to everyone for sharing their experience and knowledge. I owe you all!

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Re: charging help please 125 force

Starter should not get very hot under normal starting conditions. Even with the cold natured Force motors. I would probably suspect the starter based on what you've done. I do want to mention that just because you've cleaned up the starter motor, the problem may still be present. The windings in the starter may be shorting out when it gets a load on it and heats up. One other thing you might want to do if you want to be 100% sure is to have your batteries load tested. Places like Autozone etc will often do this for free. Good luck!

tds1774

Seaman
Re: charging help please 125 force

changed the starter, 63.00 ! solved the problem so far have not water tested it yet. may go all2h@!! then disconnected stator from rect. cranked @ solinoid needle on meter jumped up and stayed steady wile cranking. I'm very happy right now. but as with previous experiences with boats its a love/ hate rollercoaster. thanks for everyones help