1984 85HP Chrysler Force Fuel Filter

KnarfOH

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1984 85HP Chrysler Force Outboard. Because of the age of the motor (it runs great!) I have tried to keep some miscellaneous parts around. I would like to have another fuel filter for this motor. When I search IBOATS for the part, all I get are inline filters. This engine has what looks like a fine wire mesh filter that is cylindrical and is attached to the engiine house. It looks the size of a silver dollar. I would like to find the replacement filter and the gasket that goes with this filter.

Can anyone help me locate the part?

force_85_hp_001.jpg

Motor

force_85_hp_002.jpg

Gasket

force_85_hp_003.jpg

Filter

knarfoh@knarfoh.com

jason32038

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1984 85HP Chrysler Force Fuel Filter

That's a pretty clean engine for an 84'!!

chrysler1977

Recruit

Have you found this filter? I need one also...mine is for a 45hp 1978 Chrysler outboard. but looks totally identical. If you know where to get one, please let me know? I need the gaskets too....as well as this black film thing that goes behind the filter...it's almost shaped like sunglass lenses...not sure what that part is called but it's a thin flexible film that the gas goes through. it's starting to tear so need a new one. any ideas what this is or where i can locate any of these parts? Thanks so much in advance for your time and help!! email at raf_junk_only_email@yahoo.com thanks!

I have a 1984 85HP Chrysler Force Outboard. Because of the age of the motor (it runs great!) I have tried to keep some miscellaneous parts around. I would like to have another fuel filter for this motor. When I search IBOATS for the part, all I get are inline filters. This engine has what looks like a fine wire mesh filter that is cylindrical and is attached to the engiine house. It looks the size of a silver dollar. I would like to find the replacement filter and the gasket that goes with this filter.

Can anyone help me locate the part?

force_85_hp_001.jpg

Motor

force_85_hp_002.jpg

Gasket

force_85_hp_003.jpg

Filter

knarfoh@knarfoh.com

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

This site sells parts ,try to support them and this forum.
If for some reason they don't have it here.
Boats .net has the parts.F658803 $1.35 Gasket F438617 Filter $3.36 The last part is the diaphram $3.00 F438747
I've never replaced one or the other.
Just clean the filter.
If it leaks then change it.
As far as dirty motors!! Check out the pics.
They are run on gas and oil.That leaves a film.Then every little piece of stuff collects.
His just hasn't been run that much.
This Evinrude was the dirtiest I've seen in a long time.
It was put up with salt water still in it.No flush and from the looks of it no PM EVER!!!

Picture 162.jpgPicture 163.jpgPicture 164.jpg

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

100_6082.jpg

Hey Knarf: While that is a screen to keep out chunks, it is located on and before the fuel pump. If the fuel pump diaphragm starts to shed rubber like chrysler1977 is or if the brass valves start to deteriorate, then pieces can get into the carbs and cause all sorts of havoc. If you do not need the plastic inlet cap, it is much better to put a cheap inline filter between the carbs and fuel pump. Once the filter is installed, there is no need for the screen. This is a filter mounted between the carbs of my 140. You would put yours in the fuel line just after to pump or below the bottom carb.

The six fillister head screws hold the pump to the base. Underneath is the fuel pump diaphragm and gasket. Those are regular maintenance replaceable parts and it would be good to keep a few on hand. You can buy them here on iboats or at your local Mercury dealer. --about 3 bucks for the diaphragm and 2 bucks for the gasket.

KnarfOH

Seaman Apprentice

This site sells parts ,try to support them and this forum.
Read my original post. I said I tried to find the parts here and couldn't. I agree. This FORUM and IBOATS are great boating partners and everyone who visits here should try to use IBOATS first. My original post is 2 years old so it has only assumed a new life because someone is doing research on IBOATS and believes they have similar issues as I did and asked a follow-up question. KUDOS to JerryJerry05 & Frank Acampora for providing responses.

I did get some private follow-up on my question (2 years ago) and everyone said, HEY, YOUR PART LOOKS FINE AND UNLESS YOU INTRODUCE SOMETHING INTO YOUR FUEL THAT CAUSES IT TO DETERIORATE, IT SHOULD LAST A LONG TIME so don't worry too much about it now.

I did buy some extra water pump impellers (which I understand are not that rare) and a few fuel pump diaphragms just to have them on hand.