1990 force 15HP milky resadue problem (Pics need help please)

trucker28

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1990 force 15Hp with a milky resadue coming from the lower unit it seams to be coming from I asume is were the is runs through the motor. as the motor sits it leaks from the holes.when I started it spits it all out thn leaks again.

My question is this a mayjor problem and what is making it do that

Thanks and sorry for the lousy wording and explaing
Mike

Last edited:

wickware

Lieutenant
Re: 1990 force 15HP milky resadue problem

Please post a picture showing the matter.

JOW

trucker28

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Please post a picture showing the matter.

JOW
The milky stuff also came out of the two holes
IMG_1099-1.jpg

This is just from sitting there
IMG_1100-1.jpg

wickware

Lieutenant

Thanks For The Pics! I was expecting to see the milk look at the lower unit vs on the leg or etc.. Have you open the leg to check for a contaminated lower unit gear oil (coming up from the L/U) or motor oil (that is usually not a milk look? Have you drained and checked the gear oil in the lower unit for water contamination due to leaking? I feel you will see where the milk look is coming from. If you find the source, please share a pic of the source as a Ref to others and me.

Good Luck!
JOW

trucker28

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks For The Pics! I was expecting to see the milk look at the lower unit vs on the leg or etc.. Have you open the leg to check for a contaminated lower unit gear oil (coming up from the L/U) or motor oil (that is usually not a milk look? Have you drained and checked the gear oil in the lower unit for water contamination due to leaking? I feel you will see where the milk look is coming from. If you find the source, please share a pic of the source as a Ref to others and me.

Good Luck!
JOW[/QUOTE What do you mean by open the leg? I have not done anything to it yet as I did not have time but I plan to tackle it tommaro night and I will keep ya posted Thanks

wickware

Lieutenant

Open the ext housing where the milk look is showing. I feel you will find int where the source is coming from. If it appears to be coming from the L/U, drain and check the oil for water contamination due to leaking seals. Have you serviced/inspected the lower unit in the last year (impeller, oil and no signs of leaking conditions)?

Is this motor new to you or have you used and serviced it yearly for the past few years? Stuff Will Happen!

JOW

trucker28

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Open the ext housing where the milk look is showing. I feel you will find int where the source is coming from. If it appears to be coming from the L/U, drain and check the oil for water contamination due to leaking seals. Have you serviced/inspected the lower unit in the last year (impeller, oil and no signs of leaking conditions)?

Is this motor new to you or have you used and serviced it yearly for the past few years? Stuff Will Happen!

JOW

This motor is new to me I (myself) put a new impeller before the seaon did not notice anything out of the ordinery with lower unit but I will check those seals if I know what I am looking at Do you know how hard it would be to change the seals and were I can buy them.Thanks again

wickware

Lieutenant

The seals are not an issue unless the oil in the L/U is contaminated with water and causing the milk look. Even then, it was a minor job and expense on my 1970, 35HP Chrysler (2 "O" rings in 2009 that slowly started leaking after my 1985 purchase). My leak was obvious from an oil drip from the L/U vs contaminated oil or a milk look. A manual is the key and ease of service but not a must if you research and have mechanical skills. Did you check the L/U's oil's condition and level? Our Public Library had good manuals and I had my own.

JOW

trucker28

Petty Officer 2nd Class

IMG_1102-1.jpg

is this considered the milky look
IMG_1105.jpg

IMG_1104.jpg

wickware

Lieutenant

It appears that you found your problem and great documenting Pics.

1. Looks like you need to replace seals in the lower unit if the drain and vent plugs gaskets or etc are not the problems.

2. I have read of testing the seals with low air pressure (looking for bubbles with about 10 lbs of air pressure applied. I?ll re-check my oil since I d/n replace the shift rod seal.

3. In my case I could see oil dripping from the L/U and never tested or noticed any water in the oil.

4. I only replaced prop?s seal and cage?s ?O? rings (attached) and no puller was needed. If needed, I was told the shift rod seal is standard from any Bearing/Seal/Supplier.

5. Attachments and manuals will show it?s a straight-forward job. My local marine had the seals for less than 10 bucks total. Iboat will possibly have them if needed.

6. See the attachments and Good Luck!

Jow

Attachments

• Boat's Lower Unit old Seal's  8 hrs Leak test.JPG
    Boat's Lower Unit old Seal's 8 hrs Leak test.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Boat's Lower Unit's Prop Shaft Seal & Cage O-Ring Replaced.JPG
    Boat's Lower Unit's Prop Shaft Seal & Cage O-Ring Replaced.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Boat's Lower Unit new Seal's  before 24hrs Leak test.JPG
    Boat's Lower Unit new Seal's before 24hrs Leak test.JPG
    92.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Boat's Lower Unit new Seal's after  24hrs Leak test.JPG
    Boat's Lower Unit new Seal's after 24hrs Leak test.JPG
    87.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 70 Chrysler 35 HP Water Pump Checked Last In 1985 4.JPG
    70 Chrysler 35 HP Water Pump Checked Last In 1985 4.JPG
    78.9 KB · Views: 0

trucker28

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have not checked the prop area yet but I will. The color of the oil in the motor and the exact oil I put in seem to look about the same just a little off it was hard to tell if any water was in there. I was thinking that the miky resdue came from the water I was in do you think that is possiable
thanks mike

wickware

Lieutenant

I?m Confused! Are you saying you installed some oil close to this color? Are you saying when you started to drain the oil, you did not get some solid water first? This will be new to me if this is not contaminated oil. Hopefully, some of the Pros will comment on this matter. I have seen white grease this color used in bearings etc during auto engine rebuilding. My only experience with my 1970, 35 HP Chrysler?s L/U oil has been similar to an auto?s rear-end's oil (in color and wt).

Please! Wait for the Pros comments, "you might not have a problem". This might be a lesson to me.

Joe

trucker28

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I?m Confused! Are you saying you installed some oil close to this color? Are you saying when you started to drain the oil, you did not get some solid water first? This will be new to me if this is not contaminated oil. Hopefully, some of the Pros will comment on this matter. I have seen white grease this color used in bearings etc during auto engine rebuilding. My only experience with my 1970, 35 HP Chrysler?s L/U oil has been similar to an auto?s rear-end's oil (in color and wt).

Please! Wait for the Pros comments, "you might not have a problem". This might be a lesson to me.

Joe

Ok here we go I drained the low unit oil I seen no water just looks a little dirty
IMG_1107.jpg

The thickness seems to be the same to me
Now mind you when I drained it the color was close to the new oil as it sat it changed in color

wickware

Lieutenant
Re: 1990 force 15HP milky resadue problem (Pics need help please)

I?m surprised there have not been any reports from others that have had this experienced. Now that you have shown and told me the condition of the oil, I feel this is possibly a residue coming from higher up. Such as:

1. As you said, something in the water you were in which means it s/n be on the motor possibly. Is any on the base of the motor?

2. Possibly it?s a reaction of fuel/oil/water, which means the engine is contributing the fuel/oil. Any signs of fuel/oil leaks?

3. Unless there is a positive ID of the residue?s source, I would suggest cleaning the residue and making a short run and check for a source.

4. What other ideas have you had? What are you referring to when you say you h/n checked the prop area? Very good Pics. Please send a pic of the bottom of the motor or any other areas with the residue.

Jow

jaybirddog11

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry to but in, but this is interesting. What type of gear oil are you using?

trucker28

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I?m surprised there have not been any reports from others that have had this experienced. Now that you have shown and told me the condition of the oil, I feel this is possibly a residue coming from higher up. Such as:

1. As you said, something in the water you were in which means it s/n be on the motor possibly. Is any on the base of the motor?

2. Possibly it?s a reaction of fuel/oil/water, which means the engine is contributing the fuel/oil. Any signs of fuel/oil leaks?

3. Unless there is a positive ID of the residue?s source, I would suggest cleaning the residue and making a short run and check for a source.

4. What other ideas have you had? What are you referring to when you say you h/n checked the prop area? Very good Pics. Please send a pic of the bottom of the motor or any other areas with the residue.

Jow

I dont get it the outside of the motor is clean and the prop area is also clean all the residue was just in the areas in the pics I put up.

wickware

Lieutenant

1. Have you ever cleaned the residue and this is what returned?

2. This is in the leg between the motor and lower unit, does it appear to be traveling up as oil or down from what I see on the lower unit?

3. What position is the lower unit?s leg in when you add oil?

JOW

jaybirddog11

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You are using a lubrimatic gear oil correct? Is that really the normal color? I only have experience with a few different brands (quick silver and mercury gear lube) but they are both a greenish color. I do not know what would happen if 2 stroke oil is used, but I would not recommend it.

wickware

Lieutenant

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=406095

Trucker28, Does this post look familiar and it could be informational with your matter. JOW

Lower Unit Leak - With Pics

Below are the pictures of the leak.

We're going to start going throught the procedure to remove the lower unit and check everything.

Anyone have any comments on what to watch for or anything relative to getting it fixed?

(note: we just changed the fluid a few weeks ago, can't imagine that had an effect, but I'm mentioning it because it seems too coincidental)

Thanks

M