Force lower unit oil leak source?

USMCMatt

Seaman Apprentice
I noticed today that I have a oil leak coming from my 1984 Force with a 89 lower unit. While the oil looks clean, I can also easily see where it's coming from but not what part of the lower unit it is.

2lbf3x2.jpg

2r5qglk.jpg

Right from those two little holes on the underside of that plate, thoughts?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Force lower unit oil leak source?

This is oil? or gearlube?

Looks to be coming from the drain/weep holes to me.
If it is oil, it is unburnt fuel residue, normal.

If you think it is gearlube, then drain a little lube out the drain screw, and look to see if there is water intrusion, lube will be milky if there is water leaking in.

USMCMatt

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks guys those are good places to start, being fairly new to this motor, is there a good way to tell the difference in color or consistency between gear lube or oil.

Also I'm now thinking it might be a water pump housing seal as well seeing how it was just replaced 3-4 weeks ago.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

gearlube smells like .... gearlube. Compare it to what comes out the drain screw when you loosen it.

unburnt 2 stroke fuel residue will usually be dark, sometimes black, and smell like gas.

USMCMatt

Seaman Apprentice

gearlube smells like .... gearlube. Compare it to what comes out the drain screw when you loosen it.

unburnt 2 stroke fuel residue will usually be dark, sometimes black, and smell like gas.

Yeah that was a pretty dumb question when I read it back. It's certainly gear lube, amber and smells like... ah gearlube.

USMCMatt

Seaman Apprentice

One of the seals on the gear cover housing is leaking. Could be item 31, 27, 28, 29, or 23. Hope it isn't 23....pretty expensive or a typo.

Best bet would be to get a kit and replace all the seals.

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Merc2/Force/125%20H.P.%20%281989%29/1258F9E/GEAR%20HOUSING/parts.html

Well my lower unit is actually a 89 Murcury, I have the diagrams for it so I guess it's time to start ordering.

This is the first outboard I have where the fill and vent screws are side by side and not one above the other, do I do a change on this style motor with it down or up?! Wouldn't the vent port work better above?