'94 Force 120 milky oil sluge in top part of lower unit and prop

swearfinger

Cadet
I just bought a 94 Bayliner Capri. All it needed was a starter, I was told.

After replacing the starter, the plugs, the fluids, draining and adjusting the carbs I'm starting to realize this poor engine was not maintained at all. I drained the lower unit and more water came out than oil. Im a fan of the Royal Purple, so I filled the lower unit with a litre.

Eager to get it out on the Fox River, I spent an hour just cruising and taking it easy. I brought it home last night and this morning I discovered a milky mess oozing from my propeller. Theres also the milky mess seeping slowly out of the starboard, foremost bolt that is securing the lower unit. I know the vent and fill holes are secure, im pretty sure the washers are good, (they were probably never used)

Im including some pics, even though I'm sure most of you have seen this before. Also, is this an "L Drive"? How would I know. This is my first boat. Im good with cars and trucks but this boat thing is a whole other world. I want to replace the prop seals but I'm afraid that theres a much worse problem at hand. There is no bumping or grinding when the boat is in gear so I hope I caught this problem before serious damage occurred. The seloc manual I paid online access for is seemingly worthless, so far.

http://degobyakb.com/sludge1.jpg
http://degobyakb.com/bushing1.jpg

Last edited:

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: '94 Force 120 milky oil sluge in top part of lower unit and prop

A L-drive is an inboard/outboard.If you have a motor hanging off the back you don't have a hell drive.
What color was the oil you drained from the lower?
That sludge was probably accumulated over years.
That rubber is an exhaust seal($20) if worried change it.
The Seloc and Clymer aren't very good but it might come in handy one day.J

swearfinger

Cadet

Hey jerryjerry05,
Thanks for the info. It is an outboard, no "hell drive" it seems. The sludge thing is new after I changed the gear oil, I think, but maybe not. Never noticed that crap pouring out on my driveway the other 3 times I had it out on the river. More water than oil came out when I drained the old fluid, but it wasnt milky white like this is. It was clear-ish water first and only like a cup or less of dark, spent oil.

My local marina quoted (over the phone) 300 dollars to pressure test the lower unit and replace the seals. I like to fidget and try things myself but the seloc manual doesnt give me directions on how to replace the seals. I think I'm stuck having the marina do it.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Hold the phone.

Looks like unburnt fuel mix to me.
It is hot outside now, causes this stuff to slide down and out.

Have you checked the gearlube in the gearcase yet?
Remove the bottom fill screw and let a half ounce drain out, look at it, determine if there is water in your new royal purple.

If the gearlube is good, do nothing.
If it is milky, you have a bad seal somewhere. Where?
Could be on the driveshaft, shiftshaft, propshaft, or the drain/fill screws.

Its not a big deal to get a small amount of water in the gearcase, thats why we use marine rated gearlube.
And thats why we change it out in fall, so it can't freeze and crack the case.

True, the seloc manual sucks.
Better off with a Clymer manual.

Show us what you find when you drain a little lube out.

swearfinger

Cadet

Hey Roscoe,
Thanks for the advice. I pulled the drain screw out a little and unfortunately the dark Royal Purple looks like a pastel colored raspberry puree now. Something is definately letting water in. But you have me worried after you said "And thats why we change it out in fall, so it can't freeze and crack the case." I live in Chicago and it gets crazy cold. I fear that "Mr Lets Not Maintain a Boat Properly" that I bought it from, never changed the fluid and with the amount of water that came out during my initial change and the harsh winters here, something may be cracked.
Is it worth the 300 bucks to have it pressure tested and the seals replaced?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

If it was cracked, the gearlube would be running out, and you would see the crack.

Sure, have it resealed. What else are you gonna do with it?

swearfinger

Cadet

good point, not much else you can do with it, lol. the outer prop seal is bad. The mechanic said its mostly fine but when it gets hot, the bearing lets water in when its cooling. He said have it replaced this winter when im not using the boat. Im about to start a new thread, at WOT I have a stream of gas coming out of the side of my lower carb. If the top was doing this too I probably would think it may be normal, but when only one does it I think theres a problem

http://degobyakb.com/leakycarb.JPG