86 bayliner ... Cable adjustment force 85hp

notsunkyet

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok so ive been rebuilding this 86 bayliner capri since last summer and I'm almost done... It has the Force 85 hp 3 cyl engine (the white one) i tried the engine up for the first time since ive had it and it fired and ran right off! but couldnt get the shifter to move without a fight.... so i decided to take the shifter apart and clean and regrease everything it works flawlessly!the cables in the contoller move smoothly. so upon further investigation i found a few things.
1) there is a verical rod (throttle/timing rod) that is 90 degrees to the pistons. towards the carb end, it hooks to the timing advance lever and actuates left to right. it is stiff! I took the cable off and unhooked the plastic heime joint to the carbs and it is still tough to turn.
then there is a protrusion on the back side of this vertical arm the hits the bent metal tab for the forward/reverse arm... this can be "helped" by adjusting the stop bolt for the timing and trottle but that screws everything else up doesnt it?.

2) the shifter for foward/reverse is stiff ... takes some effort to move it but will move front and rear and the corresponding bracket moves up and down inside the leg. this is the bracket that hits the throttle arm.

ok so the privious owner had no issues with this engine and this came up after the engine had been of for a year and the boat being redone...
so is it just a cable adjustment issue? and if so how do ya adjust them each properly? for both the throttle and gear?

crazyinkc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 86 bayliner ... Cable adjustment force 85hp

I had a Force 50 on my pontoon and the adjustments on the Force motors are a little tricky. The stiffness could be the trigger being sticky. Thats just a guess. I think you would get a better response in the Chrysler/Force forum in the motor section.

Bayliner Customer Service

Seaman Apprentice

The engine on your boat was manufactured by Force, parts and technical service can be obtained through any Mercury Marine Dealer. You can also visit www.mercurymarine.com for more engine information.

Bayliner Customer Service

jason32038

Chief Petty Officer

Take the long metal rod off by unscrewing the plastic pieces and lube that small shaft. They require lubrication regularly as well as most of the other moving parts in there if ya didnt know.

notsunkyet

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yea i think im going hiome after work and gonna take the rod off and clean the 20 year old grease out and redo it and see it that helps