MARINE MECHANICS-86' and 88' 85hp force powerhead...

jason32038

Chief Petty Officer
I have a heavily damaged cylinder on the 86' force. Picked up an 88' powerhead from the marina and was wondering if there was much difference between the stator and trigger between those years. The 86' has terminal connections and the 88' has plug in style connectors. Both stators have the same number of wires but the 88' has some larger wires. My question is...can I cut the connectors off of the newer engine and wire them to the terminal or not? I did some research on parts and it looks like these blocks use most of the same part numbers. Also...I didnt know where to find the serial numbers but I found these numbers under the flywheel on the block... Thanks.

86' - 498150
88' - 498150-1

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: MARINE MECHANICS-86' and 88' 85hp force powerhead...

Everything is the same except the wire gauge and the terminals. So yes, you can clip off the ends or you can swap the whole stator. Main difference with the Quick-connect stator is that the two blue wires are jumpered together while on the terminal board system, you connect both blue wires to the same terminal

jason32038

Chief Petty Officer
Re: MARINE MECHANICS-86' and 88' 85hp force powerhead...

Ok great thanks for the reassurance!!! Appreciate it...one more thing...when adjusting the carbs do I set all the carbs at the base setting at one turn out from a light seat and adjust the mixture of all carbs at the same time or do I do one carb at a time? Sorry the manual wasn't too clear on this i've got everything else covered. Don't need another huge hole in a piston lol.