Chrysler Outboard 1978 105HP Lower Unit Oil Change

Moon Rock

Cadet
Hi::confused:
I am new to the boat world. I just bought a Bashee Power Boat, with Chrysler 105HP 1978 Outboard (Model# 1057B8H). The engine and boat are boath in awesom shape. I actually exchanged it for the last one that I bought a couple of weeks ago (Larson 16ft, 120hp I/O Mercruiser Sterndrive). I want to change the lower unit oil. But do not know which oil will be the best for it. I do have a flush pump to fill it from the lower hole. Also could I use any lower unit cleaner product that I could inject and drain; just to clean it up a little bit from inside?:D
Now this will be a dumb question: But I need to know what ratio of Fuel:Oil should I use on it? I think its a 2-stroke engine.
Your cooperation would mean a lot to me as a starter.:)

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Chrysler Outboard 1978 105HP Lower Unit Oil Change

Do not bother cleaning the lower unit I have never seen any that have excessive deposits inside them. Cleaning solutions will not fully drain and will thin the regular oil. Cleaning can do more harm than good. The only time I clean a lower unit is when there are metal shavings in the oil, I have done a complete disassembly, and can dry out the casing fully.

Lower unit lube is any marine grade extreme pressure GL 85-95 weight or around there. Synthetics seem to be slightly lighter weight. You can use any brand that is available--if Wal Mart still has the Tech brand, it is cheap and works well.

1 pint oil to 6 gallons gasoline (48 to 1) or 50-1 if you actually want to measure that closely.