Help with changing steering system on motor 85hp force

Smokepole27

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The old one bolts to the transom and clamps down on a hollow aluminum rod type thing with the cable going through it. Id like to update it to the newer ones, that screw to the transom mount,swivel bracket? Need help figureing and finding the correct parts, I just recieved a new cable and helm (rotary) If anyone could steer me in the right direction so I dont order anymore parts that are wrong Id be greatly appreciate it. Trying to complete this boat to enjoy with the family this summer.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: Help with changing steering system on motor 85hp force

Post a pic of what you had and what you bought.J

Smokepole27

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This is the best I can do right now I dont have any pictures of the set up I can get them later tonight if you arent able to understand or visually picture this.....

Attachments

• 0506001252.jpg
    0506001252.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 1

Smokepole27

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The box is the new standard roatary kit and the other picture is the existing with the aluminum pipe that was threaded and screwed into the threaded nut that the transom clamp bolts too. Is their a universal other setup that I can use? I really dont like this setup and is very hard to figure out and dont like the way it looks. And if their is another one that im sure a bunch of yall have where can i get it from?

Ryan

Attachments

• cables.jpg
    cables.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 1
  • cables2.jpg
    cables2.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 1

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

There new steering cable should pass through the tilt tube on the motor.
The large nut on the cable should thread onto the starboard side of the tilt tube to secure it.
There should be a small, sometimes plastic, nut that screws onto the port side of the tilt tube, to cover the hole and keep dirt from getting in.

Then there is just a connecting rod that secures to the end of the cable and the front of the motor.

I'll see if I can come up with a photo for you.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

This should be the linkage you need.

click here

Not sure if this is the correct length, but it should be, you need to measure to be sure.

Smokepole27

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah something like that, but I need more than just the rod. Where might I find a kit? I saw one on iboats yesterday but, wasnt sure if it was the correct one for my motor... Any suggestions?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Look on your old cable and it will have a # stamped into it.Take that # to any marine store and they will sell you the correct one.Just make sure the length is the same.J

Smokepole27

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I hope its the one I need I just ordered the 12 inch linkage off of ebay.... Hope im not screwed again!