1988 125hp force bogging down

GreatDane09

Recruit
I have a 88 bayliner trophy bass boat and Im having issues with it bogging down when I increase throttle. It lags for a while then slowly picks up speed and runs good once it gets up to speed. What are some things that i could check out? carbs, reeds, ect. Also, the carburators leak gas when its parked. Ive head thats common. But I was wondering what causes that?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1988 125hp force bogging down

Leak from poor design or just being a multicarb outfit.
If you leak a LOT then there is a problem.Check the reed valves.Something stuck in the butterflys.A damaged diaphram.Pump needs to be rebuilt.
Do a compression test and then a spark test.
Ethanol has damaged a lot of rubber in the older outboards.J

maxum_man

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am having similar problems, no leak though. Although mine does not bog down then pick back up, it stays bogged down at 1/2 throttle. I am rebuilding my fuel pump and changing all lines/filters to hopefully fix it for cheap!! We'll see! But I would imagine its a fuel pump issue you are having.

Bryan

john from md

Commander

Great dane:

First things first. What size/weight boat do you have and what size prop is on the engine? I have owned Bayliners but never saw a Bayliner Bass Boat.

As far as fuel coming out of the carbs, it is from a variety of things. 1) the nature of a two stroke reed valve engine, 2) the engine being tilted for trailering and 3) the expansion of the fuel from heat to name a few.

Have you ever decarbed the engine?

John

BDigi

Recruit

I just purchased a 1988 Bayliner Bass Trophy 125hp. I had the same issues as you. I did a rebuild kit on both carbs, replaced plugs, and replaced fuel pump lines and it runs absolutely great now. Still a little fuel leakage out of the carbs but that is not uncommon.