Shifting problem 89' Force 85hp

dano44

Recruit
Went to the lake first time this spring, boat ran fine. I drained the lower unit oil last fall and replaced it this spring. I cruised around the lake, stopping to fish several times, the boat shifted with the same clunck that it always has but this time it wouldn't go forward, it would go into reverse though. After I got the boat home I put the shifter in forward and went to the prop, it turned freely, then went back and put it in reverse, it did not turn and you could tell that it was in gear, in neutral it turned freely as it should. Does anyone know what might have happened?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: Shifting problem 89' Force 85hp

What screw did you remove to drain the oil? There is a allen head screw(right) on the bottom.Then there is a slotted screw on the side(wrong) that has an o-ring.
If you removed the one on the side then you need to disassemble the lower unit to re-assemble.J

dano44

Recruit

I just removed the bottom set screw, the other one you are talking about is for the shift linkage, I did not touch that one.

nathanhooper

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have not got to run my boat much at all. In fact I have not actually drove it in the lake. BUT, it just so happens that I had the same problem when I was testing it last year in the yard. Turned out that it was the screw that holds the cable on the side of the motor had come loose. It was allowing it to go one way but not the other. Sorry for not having technical names, I do not have the manual in front of me. Hope you understand.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Then you need to check the shift linkage, make sure it's adjusted right.
Un-hook the cable and start the motor and shift by hand(watch out for the prop).See if it goes into forward and reverse.If it work then you need to mess with it till it shifts both ways.J

nathanhooper

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I found in the manual what I was talking about. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Shift.jpg
    Shift.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 0

dano44

Recruit

Thanks all for the info, I think that is the problem.