Timing tool for Force/Chrysler points ignition. Need Measurement

Shife

Chief Petty Officer
I'm wondering if anyone here (Frank?) may have an old Force timing tool they could measure.

The part number is FTA2937-1. It was used on older Force motors with points. I need one to synchronize the two points on my '87 B-series 50hp.

If someone could measure the distance between the two timing marks on the tool I would be eternally grateful. With that known distance I can use my dial indicator to replicate the gauge.

Thanks in advance if anyone can help.

Shife

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Timing tool for Force/Chrysler points ignition. Need Measurement

My apologies for not doing a search on this first as I see this has come up before.

I guess not all is lost as I still have a question:

Can anyone confirm that .300in is the correct distance for a '87 B-series 50hp? I can't find any info that nails down what the actual distance would be for my motor. Should I be looking to achieve 30deg or is there really enough risk due to poor fuel quality that I need to dial it back to 28deg? The engine is bone stock except for a set of Boyesen reeds.

Jack straw

Recruit

I have a 86 force 50 with no spark in bott coil do u think it is timing or points or the coil I read your other post on the sub but not sure, and if it is how do I do that and whut is that measurement ?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

It is not .300. I don't remember the exact number but is was more like .028. My manual is in pieces so I can not even look it up for you BUT Clymers does give the tool and exact number to reach 36 degrees BTDC.

I don't know the significance of 36 degrees or why that number was chosen but compliance at or near TDC makes it difficult to find accurately so the piston is checked a little ways down from TDC and from there, 32 or 30 degrees advance is measured.

I don't have the tool so I find TDC and measure from there. If you are careful you can be relatively accurate.