Force Tracker series 75, dead cylinder

Matchoo

Recruit
A little help, please... I have a #2 cylinder not firing. I tested compression and boat shop confirmed it was good. Boat shop says spark is good too, but no fuel seems to be getting to the #2 cylinder. Boat shop says that the reeds appear to be good, not spitting back. It has a single carb, and #'s 1&3 fire ok. Any ideas why no fuel? Or what else? He mentioned a piston skirt issue, where the grooved skirt needs to pull fuel, but it doesn't sound right... Any help appreciated... matchoo1@aol.com

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Force Tracker series 75, dead cylinder

First off: "Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see"

Double check that spark is good on that cylinder and then check the reeds yourself, looking for broken petals. Remove the manifold to check them--it's not a difficult job. Those square tipped reeds were known to break more frequently than the older style round tipped reed petals. Check that the rubber coating on the vee block is not damaged. Also make sure the bolts holding the vee block to the plate are not loose.

There is a baffle on the front of the carb. It is mounted in a specific position. There is also a cast in baffle on the manifold where the carb bolts on. Lastly there is an internal baffle inside the manifold.

I was tempted to remove them, but closer inspection and a bit of applied logic made me decide to leave them alone.

Because Mercury changed the location of the vee blocks in order to use a single carb (Cheaper than three) All three of these baffles are there to help uniformly distribute air/fuel to each cylinder. If a P.O. removed them in a misguided effort to gain more horsepower, it may have negatively affected the airflow pattern.

That's the only reason I can think of for lack of fuel to one cylinder in a single carb three cylinder engine.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Check the fuel pump for a damaged diaphram.J

Matchoo

Recruit

Thanks gents... Your suggestions sound right on. I forgot to mention that the sound barrier foam came un-glued, and it looks like it was shredded by the flywheel. I am wondering where the missing amount went... most likely through the carb intake...
I'll pull the intake and carb, check and let you know.

Thanks again...
Matt

Matchoo

Recruit

Frank, you were correct. I pulled the intake manifold and the #2 Reed Block had a reed broken nearly in half from top to bottom, (I wonder where the missing piece went?) and pulled the reed block. I ordered a new assembly, but am wondering if I could just buy the reeds next time... seems like an awful waste of the other reeds and block...

Thanks again.
Matt

Matchoo

Recruit

First off: "Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see"

Double check that spark is good on that cylinder and then check the reeds yourself, looking for broken petals. Remove the manifold to check them--it's not a difficult job. Those square tipped reeds were known to break more frequently than the older style round tipped reed petals. Check that the rubber coating on the vee block is not damaged. Also make sure the bolts holding the vee block to the plate are not loose.

There is a baffle on the front of the carb. It is mounted in a specific position. There is also a cast in baffle on the manifold where the carb bolts on. Lastly there is an internal baffle inside the manifold.

I was tempted to remove them, but closer inspection and a bit of applied logic made me decide to leave them alone.

Because Mercury changed the location of the vee blocks in order to use a single carb (Cheaper than three) All three of these baffles are there to help uniformly distribute air/fuel to each cylinder. If a P.O. removed them in a misguided effort to gain more horsepower, it may have negatively affected the airflow pattern.

That's the only reason I can think of for lack of fuel to one cylinder in a single carb three cylinder engine.

got the parts in and installed. That did it!... Reed valve was the problem and now she's going strong. thanks again.

milehighboater

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just so you know my sound proofing came off too, looks like gas dissolves the foam so it more than likely went though the motor like mine. Its still running though.