need advise on force 87 125 hp timing

new outboard guy

Seaman Apprentice
i recently replaced the stator,trigger,and both cdi modules on my 87 force 125 hp outboard. i need to time it, and am unsure what i need to do or should i take it to a mechanic to do. please advise thanks!!!!

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: need advise on force 87 125 hp timing

You need to get a good manual.If your mech.inclined then it's not hard to do.J

john from md

Commander

Are you mechanically inclined? Do you have a timing light? Have you ever timed any internal combustion engine? If so, I can help you out. If not, you had better leave it to a mechanic.

John

Jasper8301

Cadet

I'm getting ready to do timming also ,,I have put a timing light on #1 and it doesn't even fire until about 4000 rpm,,is this normal? is that what the trigger does?,,Please advise step by step info,,,,Thanks

john from md

Commander

Jasper,

If you are using an Advance type timing light, set the advance to 0 as it won't work with a manual advance like the Force has.

Your light should work anytime the engine is running. In fact, this is how you check to see that your idle timing is 0-2 degrees. Clean your grounds and your plugs what you are seeing is not correct.

John

new outboard guy

Seaman Apprentice

well i am mechanically inclined but only watched my dad time a car a few times. i dont have a light, but if its costly id rather take it to the mechanic after the 800 i spent for the whole electrical system

john from md

Commander

Most so called boat mechanics don't know didley about Force engines and you will be throwing good money after bad.

Timing and syncing the Force is easy buy just following the steps in the Clymer manual.

A Craftsman basic timing light (with no advance) will cost you $40.

Timing basically goes like this,

Disconnect fuel line.
Jumper the neutral start switch
Remove plugs and ground either the high tension lead or the plug body. This is important so you don't damage the CDI module.
Place trottle in WOT
With a helper turning the key or a starter jumper, turn the engine over and aim the light at the flywheel. The static timing mark is at the top of the carb casting and the engine will have markings. You are looking for 32 degrees before top dead center.
Syncronize the carbs to the timing bar after you set the timing.

Simple, wasn't it?

John

Jasper8301

Cadet

Fantastic,,,thanks John,,so no how do you syncronize the carbs,,,and shouldn't you get spark on all the plugs at idle,,,I only get spark on 3 & 4 at idle and all cylinders at wot,,, also when I wot this engine races and bearies mt tack,, I would say it in the red @ 8000 or so is that normal ? my tack goes up to 6500 rpm

john from md

Commander

Lets take one step at a time.

First, you need to buy a Clymer manual in order to troubleshoot and maintain your engine. Most everything we tell you is in that manual.

As for your spark, you should have spark on all cylinders at idle. The first thing I would look for is bad grounds. I took braided shielding wire from radio shack and made separate grounds for both CDI modules and all the coils as these engines are notorious for bad grounds.

As for overreving, what size prop do you have on the engine? You should be using a 13x19P for normal cruising. If you do alot of wake boarding etc, then you can use a 13x17P which will give you a better hole shot.

I would be careful overreving the engine as you can damage your reed valves that way.

John

new outboard guy

Seaman Apprentice

ok i want to try just a static time on my motor then do the dynamic after,so i get the feel for it, so heres where im at. i have tdc on the 1 cylinder. i have 1 timing mark by itself, lined up directly with the mark at the top of the carb. i have the 3 smaller lines at about 30 degrees clockwise from the 1st mark (looking at the motor from carbs its to the left). where do i adjust from here.......or is this correct.....please let me know.

john from md

Commander

The mark by itself is TDC. The three marks to the left are probably 28, 30 and 32 BTDC. I say probably because I know some engines had a 34 degree BTDC mark.

When you set up timing using the starter, set it up for 30* as it will move to 32 at WOT. If timed correctly, you will also see 0-2 *BTDC at idle.

I would like to give you some safety advice regarding timing these engines. With the exception of folks who race or have a running tank at their business, the mechanics I know only set their timing using the starter and never even check it on the water. It is very dangerous to be going 40 miles an hour over bumpy water and having someone trying to hold a timing gun on the engine. A tight turn, boat wake or wind gust can cause the person timing to fall into a rotating flywheel.

John

new outboard guy

Seaman Apprentice

ok i have aimed the timing light and all i can see is the tdc mark, not the other timing marks. when i am at idle where do i set the marks at, or do i set the timing at a certain rpm???

john from md

Commander

When it is running at idle, you should see 0 to 2* BTDC. In order to see the 32* mark, the engine must be at WOT. I do not recommend this however, I recommend doing it using the starter only.

Pull plugs and ground plug shells or plug wires, what ever is easier for you

Jumper the neutral start switch (right side of the engine near the carb linkage) Just jumper a wire across the terminals.

Place the throttle in WOT

Crank the starter and shine the light at the flywheel. This will indicate where the WOT advance setting is.

John

new outboard guy

Seaman Apprentice

and how do you use the starter to time???i only have an inductive light. do i need something different?? and what wires do i jumper???on the right side is all my trigger and stator wires, do i jumper all those together??

john from md

Commander

WOT is Wide Open Trottle.

The inductive light will work just from the starter cranking.

Right side of the engine looking forward. Near the carb linkage there is a switch toward the bottom of the engine. This switch is made in neutral and allows you to crank the starter. When you move the trottle to WOT, you must jumper the switch to fool it into thinking the throttle is still in the neutral postion. Its purpose is to prevent starting the engine in gear.

John

new outboard guy

Seaman Apprentice

so wide open youre meaning put it in gear wide open and run at full rpms??? and do i need all the spark plugs out and grounded???

john from md

Commander

No, the engine is not running, you are using the starter only.

The plugs are pulled and grounded so that the engine can spin and not start. Grounding protects the CDI modules from feedback.

You have the trottle in the WOT position but the engine is not running. You are only rotating the flywheel and sparking the plugs using the starter.

I forgot to tell you, you need someone to turn the key while you shoot the light unless you have very long arms.

John

new outboard guy

Seaman Apprentice

ill explain what ive done so far. hooked my light up to the battery, and hooked the inductive switch to the #1 wire. ran the motor at idle and my tdc mark was lined up with the motor mark. is this correct???

new outboard guy

Seaman Apprentice

ok i think i understand now. could i just pull the safety switch tether, or do i need to pull all the plug wires and ground them???