1988 Force 50 hp Floods easy/Hard to start

cbercaw

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My 50hp starts fine (starts right up) after it has been sitting for a while. in fact, I never have a problem starting it on muffs. However when i get it on the water and after I run it WOT (to go to my fishing hole) and try to start it back up after say 15 minutes or an hour or two, it is usually hard to start. Gas pours from thecarb when I lift the motor to drain it. If i wait 10 minutes or so after lifting it and draining gas from carb, it will start. Obviously it is flooding. Any ideas on what is causing this? fuel pump kit in order possibly? I just put new spark plugs in too, so it is sparking, they get saturated i suspect. Any insight is appreciated.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1998 Force 50 hp Floods easy/Hard to start

Really good chance the fuel pump diaphram is torn.

Time for a rebuild kit.

Let us know how it turns out.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

May also be a leaking needle valve in the carb., or float adjusted too high.

antique fisherman 1

Seaman Apprentice

Since it is flooding , I would suspect a sticking needle (actuated by the float in the carb). Disassemble, clean and put a kit in the carburetor. You are getting fuel to the carb , so. I wouldn't immediately suspect the fuel pump because the fuel is reaching the carburetor.

cbercaw

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1988 Force 50 hp Floods easy/Hard to start, Carb Question

Re: 1988 Force 50 hp Floods easy/Hard to start, Carb Question

I put a fuel pump kit in last night because i had one lying around..gaskets were very old, thin and tore to pieces when i took them off. No visible tears in the diaphram. A carb kit was put in two weeks ago..So i suspect the needle/float is set wrong too. How do I know when it is at its ideal setting? My manual was destroyed last season by water..I havent picked up a new one yet. Thanks

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Re: 1988 Force 50 hp Floods easy/Hard to start

Initial setting on the carburetor float has to be done with it removed from the motor. Remove the fuel bowl to expose the float and turn the carb upside down. The top of the float should rest parallel to the body of the carb. Bend the tab that rests against the needle valve to adjust. Do not put excessive pressure on the needle valve itself as this may damage the rubber tip. See illustration below.

Once you perform the adjustment, reinstall the carb and set the motor at it's normal running position, and squeeze the primer bulb 4 or 5 times. It should get firm. This indicates that the needle valve is closed and not leaking.

NOTE: If you see gas leaking from the carb when it is tilted all the way up, this is not uncommon. There is a vent tube for the fuel bowl that will leak some gas when you do this.

Attachments

• IMG_1319[1].JPG
    IMG_1319[1].JPG
    119.4 KB · Views: 1

cbercaw

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the helpful info and picture..I think I have everything straightened out. Thanks again to everyone who replied to my post.

moparman

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree with Roscoe on the pump diaphragm,not because of it being torn but for preventive maintenance reasons. Unless it's been replaced recently it's some thing that needs to be done every 2-3 years any way. Also if the diaphragm is torn ,it will allow fuel to leak into the fuel recirculation system and flood it out,along the lines of what you're describing. Just my two cents worth[and maybe a little more....LOL].Keep us posted on what you find

cbercaw

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The carb was fine and a carb kit installed a month ago. From the looks of it, the fuel pump gaskets have never been replaced, they came out in pieces, just sort of disintegrated and were thin compared to the kits gaskets. The diaphragm was not torn. This has to make a positive difference. the real test will be friday when I go for rockfish on the Susquehanna flats....I am confident though.

cbercaw

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Reporting that I took my engine out for a test run today...no stripers BUT the engine did not flood like usual and I am confident (fingers crossed) that the fuel pump kit had to do with it...My engine started every time in half a second which is how it should be...I have a good vacuum on my fuel system and will have happier fishing now.. Thanks all..

cbercaw

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Engine still floods...Could this be due to the valves in the fuel pump that are orange colored? I hear orange colored valves need to be replaced. I ordered some new ones. I only saw two valves when I put the new gaskets in. Question is, where is the third? How do I get it out?

puddle jumper

Captain

I have the exact same problem with my 98 50hp. I to replaced my fuel pump gaskets. What I also did was went on step further. In behind the fuel pump there is a fuel recalculation system. The manual barely touches on it. There is two screens that plug up with carbon. I have not taken my boat out since I cleaned out these screens so I don't know if it fixed the problem. But this thread is interesting because I think a lot of people have this same problem.