Stop/Kill Switch Problems

steviemc

Recruit
My 1988 125 Force Engine will only start if I remove the white stop switch wire from the terminal bar on the engine block. I have already replaced the ignition switch and the stop switch lanyard. I have double checked the wiring at the ignition switch and it appears to be correct, what could be wrong? I'm ready to go fishing!

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Re: Stop/Kill Switch Problems

The white wire that you disconnected is shorted to ground somewhere. That's how the switch kills the ignition system. With the key in the off position, you should read a short to ground. With the key in the run or start position, you should read an open to ground. The lanyard/kill switch should also read open with the lanyard attached, shorted with the lanyard removed.

steviemc

Recruit

explain what you mean by "reading a short to ground" on the white stop switch wire coming from the ignition switch. What response should I see on my multimeter?

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

Sorry for not being clear. Short to ground means no resistance, close to zero ohms.

If you have a digital ohm meter, you would see very low reading 5 or less ohms.

If you have an analog meter with a needle, it would go all the way over to the low end of the scale.

Measure between the end of the disconnected white wire and the engine block with the key in the off position and the run position. With the key off, you should read low resistance. With the key in the run position, you should see an open.

steviemc

Recruit

Thank's for the advice, I'm just a beginner your replies are very appreciated. I have invested alot time and money restoring a 1988 Bayliner Bass Boat from the floors to the finish and now the engine is running after setting up for 6 years or so.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

No problem. That's what this forum is for. Double check that lanyard switch. If there is any doubt, disconnect one of the wires to the lanyard switch and see if you still see a short to ground with the key in the run position.

Good luck with your project!