70, 35 HP Chrysler, What is the best fix of a stripped lower Zerk on the motor

wickware

Lieutenant
70, 35 HP Chrysler, What is the best fix of a stripped lower Zerk on the motor?s vertical pivot?

1. I tried over-sizing with a bottoming tap, no luck due to shaft and shallow Aluminum wall.

2. In my opinion, if a bottoming tap w/n work a self-tapping zerk will probably not work.

3. Is there a small plug that will work that can be removed for greasing or will RTV be my best seal Etc.?

4. OR! Do I drill into the vertical shaft (1/4?) enough to get a good set of threads and a zerk or plug?

5. I know this is not the first, what are some of the best options that have proven worthwhile?

6. This area is clean now but the zerk fitting came away with the grease gun when I finished.

Thanks in advance. JOW

Attachments

• 2010 Cleaning Since 1985 But as needed Greasing (3).JPG
    2010 Cleaning Since 1985 But as needed Greasing (3).JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Boat's 35 HP Linkage in Forward Position.JPG
    Boat's 35 HP Linkage in Forward Position.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 0

wickware

Lieutenant
Re: 70, 35 HP Chrysler, What is the best fix of a stripped lower Zerk on the motor

A good night?s sleep fixed the stripped Zerk.

1. The next size Zerk tapped itself into the hole the 5/16 bottoming tap had reamed.

2. That allowed some time to clean the engine?s bottom and try the Zerk. Both Worked!

3. I got good grease from the installed Zerk at the top and bottom of motor?s vertical pivot point.

Enough Said! JOW

Attachments

• Boat's 35 HP Linkage in Forward Position.JPG
    Boat's 35 HP Linkage in Forward Position.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Cleaned Engine's Bottom & Replaced Stripped Zerk (1).JPG
    Cleaned Engine's Bottom & Replaced Stripped Zerk (1).JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 0