1970 Chrysler 35 HP. Is it common for the horn to serve as the horn and over-heating

wickware

Lieutenant
1970 Chrysler 35 HP. Is it common for the horn to serve as the horn and over-heating alarm? Today, I discovered a bad/fried 6v horn in a 12v system. With the new 12v horn, the horn works and grounding the thermostat?s connection sounds the horn. When overheating the thermostat circuit works as a ground to the horn. I ran the engine 5 minutes (in the barrel) and the horn d/n sound. Plus, I could hold my hand on the engine?s cylinder area or head but I w/n want to leave it constantly over a minute or so. Does that sound about right for the combustion area surface temp?

Attachments

• Bad-Fried 6v Horn In A 12V System.JPG
    Bad-Fried 6v Horn In A 12V System.JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 0

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1970 Chrysler 35 HP. Is it common for the horn to serve as the horn and over-hea

Not common, interesting, but won't hurt anything. Temperature is about right: You can hold your hand on the head, but not for long.

wickware

Lieutenant
Re: 1970 Chrysler 35 HP. Is it common for the horn to serve as the horn and over-hea

Thanks Frank! I need a youngster to get, ?up into the boat and down under the dash to mount the new horn?. LOL, many of us know the pain!!

JOW