Lower unit leaking from bolt?

NMShooter

Petty Officer 2nd Class
1988 Force 85hp

I idled it 10 minutes yesterday off of muffs to get the engine up to temp and to check the water pressure gauge that I installed.

This morning, I found some oil residue on the lower unit below the plate. Does not smell like gear oil to me, also no smell of gas in that oil. Just smells like, well, oil.. very thick viscosity though.

Excuse the tape... I use that to better seal the muffs on the lower unit.

Here is the first picture...
IMG_0060.jpg

It seems to be leaking from both sides, same bolt on each side! What might this be? Is it leaking from the bolt, or from that small hole next to it? I saw the posting on improper fuel mix maybe causing this.

IMG_0063.jpg

I'm going to drain and replace the gear oil later today and look for water.

Thanks,

Frank

izoomie

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Lower unit leaking from bolt?

I don't there is oil behind those bolts, could it be exhaust residue?

robert graham

Admiral

Did you really idle motor for 10 minutes "off of muffs"?....that's a long time without water....not too good for impeller. If this was the first running after winter storage and if you fogged the motor, then that black stuff could just be that storage fog/oil burning out of the motor. My motor oozes black gook when I first run it after storage. I doubt you have a problem.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

He used the muffs, and the water was turned on, he was checking the water pressure gauge.

NMShooter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had 5psi of water the whole time, lots coming out of the exaust and even pulled the water gauge hose and attached a drain hose to make sure the water was pumping well. I also placed my hand on the head of the cylinders to see how warm it was getting. Never uncomfortable to the touch.

No, the engine was used on a fishing run by the previous owner just this Saturday. So it was not full of seafoam.

Just curious as to what this leak may be. I'm checking the lower unit grease in a couple of hours.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

If it was lower unit gear oil, you should be able to detect the unique smell. The exhaust passage through the lower unit is close to the area where those bolts are. I doubt you have a problem.