no power to motor, 1989 125hp pics to explain!!!

pfloyd86

Cadet
I put a 1989 125hp Force motor on my 17' skeeter bass boat. I have the controls that came with it and I am trying to get it all hooked up but cannot get power to the motor and cannot figure out the problem. here are pictures to explain my issue. No power to tilt and trim or to starter. I have power to starter and tilt and trim when i bypass everything and touch battery the individual parts.
here is wiring pic at motor,
IMG_0369.jpg
[/IMG]
I have my neg from battery connected here, circled in red,
IMG_0370-1.jpg
[/IMG]
I had the positive from battery connected on the left side of the circled area, I dont know what this "block"is called.
IMG_0371-1.jpg
[/IMG]
Here is a pick of the rest of the wiring. circled in red is a purple wire that is separated that I connected when attempting to get power, and a red wire with white stripe that has a connector on the end and a black wire with connector on the end, which I dont know where these two belong.
IMG_0372-1.jpg
[/IMG]

Thank you for any help

Cyclone

Seaman Apprentice
Re: no power to motor, 1989 125hp pics to explain!!!

Be sure the neutral switch on the shift cable(other side of engine from photos) is in the middle. To wet for me to check mine, but I can email you a diagram.
125HPForcewiring.jpg

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

At the engine terminal, first photo, you do not have a red wire going forward to the ignition switch to provide power for starter solenoid, choke, overheat indicator, and tilt/trim switch.

You also do not have a blue stop wire attached to the terminal jumped to ground. At ignition switch, blue attaches to one "M" terminal and white attaches to the other. The purple is tach signal and will not affect engine operation.

pfloyd86

Cadet

thank you for the information, no at least I know there is some issues. But I dont quite understand what you are trying to tell me Frank. Is it possible for you to copy my picture and draw on it if you have the time. Im not sure what exactly is the starter switch. Let me know if you are able to help further I will try to study the wiring diagram and figure out what is what. thanks very much.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

There is a red wire missing from the terminal block in the first picture. I've outlined it in red on the wiring diagram. It goes from terminal "B" on the back of the ignition switch to the terminal connection that I've circled in the picture.

Attachments

• Wiring.jpg
    Wiring.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 2
  • wiring2.jpg
    wiring2.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 0

pfloyd86

Cadet

awesome thanks for the info. Ill get that wire ran and we will see what happens.

pfloyd86

Cadet

Some good news and bad, I have power and can now run my tilt and trim. The only problem I am now having is I turn my key and the starter is not turning over. I dont know what the problem is I have my forward controls hooked up and its in neutral. Any ideas would help greatly!!! Thanks again.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

The starter solenoid should have four wires connected to it. From your pictures I see at least three. It shows the two main red battery cables connected to the large terminals. On the two smaller terminals, you should have a black wire which is connected to ground (the block) and a yellow wire which comes from your neutral safety switch. The yellow wire goes from the neutral safety switch to your ignition key. When you turn the ignition key to the start position, you should read 12 volts on the yellow wire.

The neutral safety switch has to be adjusted properly on the linkage to supply 12 volts to the starter solenoid. You can take a wire and jumper acroos the switch (the 2 yellow wires) to temporarily by-pass the switch as a test.

pfloyd86

Cadet

Well I checked the neutral switch and it was not depressed when the forward control was in neutral. So my question is do I adjust the cable so that it rests on the neutral switch or do I adjust the switch? I think probably the adjusting the cable but I want a second opinion before I do so. O and I pushed the forward control forward so that the switch was depressed and the starter solenoid has power. I appreciate the help very much!!!!?

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

I'm out of town so I don't have access to my manuals so I'm going from memory but I do know this....don't adjust the cable.

From what I remember, you adjust either the switch itself or the shoe that engages the button on the neutral safety switch. Can't remember which, but if you take a close look at it, you'll see two screws to loosen to make the adjustment. It should be fairly obvious.

pfloyd86

Cadet

awesome thank you ill give it a shot!!

pfloyd86

Cadet

Alright well the best news is I was able to get the motor to crank but not start, I took the motor to the mechanic and he had to change a cdi ignition switch and fixed my tilt and trim so its going nice now, I was able to trade the old blown motor for the parts and labor so I was happy because the old motor was now a yard ornament and was useless to me. The only thing I need now is to figure out the tachometer. The boat came with a yamaha and they have more wiring than Ive ever seen, I was expecting the tach to have two wires for power and a wire from the motor, well this isnt the case, I have my purple wire from the motor ran but I dont know how I can hook it up with this tach, If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks Brian
IMG_0385.jpg
[/IMG]

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

It appears that the tach you have right now is set up for either a 4, 6 or 12 pole stator. The Force motor has a 20 pole stator so you need to find one that works for it.

Try searching on "20 pole outboard tachometer"

pfloyd86

Cadet

Thanks to everyone for the help, I got the right Tach and installed it and tested it, now Ill be on the water tomorrow fishing a beautiful missouri lake thanks again, Brian