Will water enter into the leg of my 1970 Chrysler 35 HP at the same level

wickware

Lieutenant
Will water enter into the leg of my 1970 Chrysler 35 HP at the same level, as it will be outside the leg while boating? I replaced my water pump?s impeller and looking back, I have these concerns:

1. I did not replace the lower unit?s shift rod seal but there were no signs of water in the oil.

2. I saw no signs that water was entering the leg as high as the water pump and shift rod seal.

3. I saw no signs of exhaust in the leg and some must move down the leg to exit the snout?

Please help me to understand these concerns. My only thought is that the leg is not vented at the top to allow the force of the water to move up the leg. I have no idea as to why I?m not seeing signs of exhaust in the leg since I see signs of oil and smoke leaving the leg while boating. What I see might be coming from the higher cooling water/exhaust port. I?ll hope to test the pump (with emphasis on the old and new cooling water output) and other test and etc. soon. Then, possibly fish (in East or North, TX) by the end of the month.

Thanks!
JOW

Attachments

• 70 Chrysler 35 HP Water Pump Checked Last In 1985 8.JPG
    70 Chrysler 35 HP Water Pump Checked Last In 1985 8.JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 70 Chrysler 35 HP Water Pump Checked Last In 1985 9.JPG
    70 Chrysler 35 HP Water Pump Checked Last In 1985 9.JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 70 Chrysler 35 HP Water Pump Checked Last In 1985 7.JPG
    70 Chrysler 35 HP Water Pump Checked Last In 1985 7.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 0

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Will water enter into the leg of my 1970 Chrysler 35 HP at the same level

When the engine is sitting dead in the water, the water level inside the leg will be the same as outside. That is a given even if you can not see any venting. Yes, exhaust does travel down the leg and out the snout.

The shift rod seal does not necessarily need replaceing if it is not rough and chopped. If it is still smooth and not cracking, and if it starts to leak, you can hammer it down a bit more to increase the pressure around the rod. Don't go too far, though, or the squeezing pressure will be so great that you will not be able to shift the engine.

Looking back at the photos, Did you just buy the engine? The center photo shows signs of black residue near the front and the resy of the casting is so clean it makes me think it was cleaned prior to the photos.

And also, the impeller shows signs of having been either turned the wrong way or flipped over and run, notice how the vanes do not have a uniform "set" in the opposite direction to the engine rotation? They appear to have been set one way then bent the other. Caution would advise changing it as a matter of course--even though it seems to show little wear.

wickware

Lieutenant
Re: Will water enter into the leg of my 1970 Chrysler 35 HP at the same level

Thanks Frank! For sharing your priceless, unpublished experiences and techniques. Replies per your sharing:

1. I understand your suggestion of adjusting the shift rod seal and will if needed.

2. I have owned the motor since 1985 and I have never cleaned inside the leg. That was my concern of how clean it appears. I feel I purchased from the original owner that shared maintenance techniques as we had on lake and dry land demos. My guess is we have put less than 2-5 hrs on the motor per year.

3. Last, we share the same opinion that the old impeller was flipped or installed wrong. I last saw it in 1985 if I saw it then due to the output.

Thanks Again & Take Care!
JOW