• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old threads or hijack existing threads. Old threads of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old threads should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís thread (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the thread is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old thread.

5. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís thread. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to threads that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any thread that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old thread.

7. Posting at the end of any thread is considered to be hijacking the original posters thread which in turn subjects the thread to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive thread asking you not to reply to old threads. The Red banner will read: Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

What are the symptoms of a weak fuel pump?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are the symptoms of a weak fuel pump?

How do I tell if my fuel pump diaphragm needs to be replaced? Early 70's 55hp magneto ignition, single carb.

If the pump is in good enough shape to start and idle smooth and run in the lower ranges fine but is not good enough for WOT running, how will it act? Would I expect it to just have a significant lack of power at WOT or should it be sputtering and missing?

Re: What are the symptoms of a weak fuel pump?

Just like a heart, a weak pump can't keep up.
    When goals have no clear focus, neither will the actions of the people trying to achieve them

Comment

If it is original replace it. The diaphragm is only about 5 bucks and it only takes about a half hour to do it.

Comment

I have no idea if it's original or not. I'm replacing it regardless, just trying to determine if a weak pump is causing my top end power loss problems or something else. It's the only thing I haven't been able to rule out yet but my thoughts are that a weak pump would just cause the carb bowl to be sucked dry at WOT and it would start sputtering. I don't have the typical starving symptoms, but acceleration just hits a brick wall above 3/4 throttle.

BTW, where do you get one for $5 at, the cheapest I can find is like 17 bucks.

Comment

My next check would be timing.
          When goals have no clear focus, neither will the actions of the people trying to achieve them

Comment

Timing is correct, throttle sync is correct, all ignition components good, points gapped and sync'd properly, no bad wiring.

Comment

If everything is correct, maybe you are expecting too much out of the motor. If the RPM's are there, the load may be too heavy, the prop may be the wrong pitch. Sorry, I'm out of suggestions. Maybe Frank will chime in.

Comment

Working...
              X