20hp Chrysler Auto Electric starter removal

Parenouf

Seaman Apprentice
before you ask i've got a manual on order but i need to take the starter off so i can check the points and condensers as i have no spark can anyone please help? model 204HB serial number 3212

Last edited:

wickware

Lieutenant
Re: 20hp Chrysler Auto Electric starter removal

Please post a Picture attachment or text info that shows or explains that your starter needs to be removed (to remove your flywheel to access your points and etc.). I have a 1970 Chrysler 35 HP and I would think they are similar and the starter does not have to be removed. Your challenge might be pulling the flywheel, evaluating points, condensers, timing and etc.. I have manuals but c/n remember seeing this need. Please give some feed back on the matter.

Good Luck,
Jow

Attachments

• Boat 70 Chrysler 35 HP Wiring & Etc.jpg
    Boat 70 Chrysler 35 HP Wiring & Etc.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Boat 70 Chrysler 35 HP Points.jpg
    Boat 70 Chrysler 35 HP Points.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 1

wickware

Lieutenant

A quick Summary and apology for not looking at this info before thinking other wise.

Starter/Generator Support and Bearing Removal (20 HP), 1st 6 listed steps in Clymer 3.5 ? 140 HP Manual:

1. Disconnect Neg. Batt. Cable
2. Rem Eng. Cover
3. Rem Sarter/Gn. Housing
4. Rem 2 screws/lock washers holding starter/gen. To power head
5. Rem screw/lock washer holding support bracket
6. Rem. Magneto flywheel spacer from crankshaft.

If additional info is needed, list specific questions. It appears to be basic tear-down. Hopefully someone knows where there is a post with diagrams and instructions on ?This Monster?. Have you used a variety of key search words in this site and goggle? A simple search here just showed our post but you might try other key words.

Good Luck!
Joe

Parenouf

Seaman Apprentice

i can't see any screws all there is, is one bolt through the centre and this is slightly smaller than another thread that appears to need a larger bolt that would screw down thus releasing the keyway and at the sametime forcing the starter/gen up away from the flywheel. then i'll be able to remove the flywheel and check points/condensers

wickware

Lieutenant

Below is Key info to use in your search. Plus, look in Similar Threads below your post. From the pics I?m seeing in Clymer and info I?m reading you should not be having much of a problem. Do you have experience in small engine? Do you have a local small engine or outboard repair shop?

Autolectric Starter-Generator System used 1966 ?1975 on 20 HP models 1966 ?1975 9.2 ? 15 HP engines with magneto breaker point engines.

Good Luck!
JOW

Parenouf

Seaman Apprentice

Cheers for your help thus far i'll have another look tomorrow as it's 2130hrs here now and i don't fancy looking for a dropped screw or bolt in the dark!

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

I seem to remember that there is something special needed to be done. Best Go to the Chrysler Crew and ask Franz--He will know for sure.

Parenouf

Seaman Apprentice

Good news bad news time!
first good news i got the starter off it is another slightly larger bolt screwed down which eases the starter off
Bad news now im stuck with the flywheel it appears the spindle which the starter/gen was attached to goes through the flywheel which i'm a bit loathed to clout with a hammer incase i damage it

I have already read various other posts on flywheel removal which i'll have a crack at tomorrow.

just thought you'd like to know the progress i've made.

Parenouf

Seaman Apprentice

Update time....... have had to bypass the electric starter there seems to be a problem with it but the engine has now been run up today pumping water lovely just a shame about the starter but i can live without it.....

Parenouf

Seaman Apprentice

the starter relay appears to be the problem but after an exstensive web search i haven't been able to locate one:mad::(

I'm looking for starter layout (diagram) for Chrysler 15 Autoelectric Model 154HA