Mercury force 120 DFI, No spark!

zrtman

Cadet
I am buying a 93 starcraft Elite 17' with a mercury force 120 dfi. My question is what year did mercury force come out with a 120 with DFI. The motor has no spark probably a bad cdi box. If anyone could give me a rough idea of the year that would be great since I don't have the boat yet!

Attachments

• !BcD02ggBmk~$(KGrHqUH-DUEqvhBWU6JBKy26!GD(!~~_3.jpg
    !BcD02ggBmk~$(KGrHqUH-DUEqvhBWU6JBKy26!GD(!~~_3.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 0

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Mercury force 120 DFI, No spark!

My question is what year did mercury force come out with a 120 with DFI.

They didn't

Force never had EFI, let alone DFI
DFI (Direct Fuel Injection) is the Mercury Optimax motors.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

At one time, Force did use the terms CFI and/or swirl charged or something like that--fancy name for old fashioned cross flow induction. Just a marketing ploy. Like calling a bald man follicularly challenged--no matter how you say it, he's bald. OR BBW--call it fat and get it over with.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Yes, have seen the CFI or "cross flow induction" decal on models up until about 1991, but don't think ever on a 120 hp.

But as the previous posters said, they never made efi or dfi.

That motor is just plain old carbureted.

zrtman

Cadet

Thanks guys. The closer I looked at the photo it looks more like it says cfi on the back of the cover. Soon as I get it home I have to figure out the no spark issue. Once again thanks!

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

from the photo, looks like you bought it from Rawhide on ebay.

Hope it all works out for you.

zrtman

Cadet

got the boat and heres what I found out so far. The powerhead was replaced with a quicksilver by mercury repower 120 force year is 2000. I got good spark the emergency kill was corrided a bit. The starter is very weak but did get the motor to pop. Heres my real question, The compression readings were 120, 120, 100, 120. The weaker cylinder being number 3. Will this pose a problem? The motor and boat are extremely clean but not sure on the engine compression. Any advice would be great! also the power trim leaks down from the raised position?