Chrysler 6hp cooling - hole in water inlet pipe?

ecodan

Recruit
Hi all,
Have new impeller and on motors maiden voyage am suffering overheating.
Sort of okay at slow speeds, but anything over a quick idle and she gets hot quick, not even at slow speeds is it real good.
Plate on side of engine was replaced with new gaskets when i got the motor as old one was worn out. Have now up-ended the motor and have filled the cooling system through the water inlet pipe (removed the bottom of the leg where the prop and impeller is) with CLR which the local boat shop said would dissolve calcium and salt deposits and hopefully improve water circulation. My question is, when I filled it i noticed some of the liquid squirting out of a small hole in a bend on the water inlet pipe... is this supposed to be there or is that where i'm losings my water from? and if so as i'm on holiday with the family and on a limited budget, can i clamp some rubber fuel pipe over it to stop the leak for the time being?
Cheers,
Dan

Last edited:

ecodan

Recruit
Re: Chrysler 6hp cooling - hole in water inlet pipe?

slid rubber fuel hose over inlet water pipe above water pump, this improved the water flow through the power head but nothing has stopped the overheating.
Any thoughts / comments welcome!