89 Force 125 positive cable?

pfloyd86

Cadet
I have a 1989 Force 125 that I bought to put on my boat. I have the wiring harness all wired except for the positive cable im not sure where it connects? any help is greatly appreciated. Brian

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Re: 89 Force 125 positive cable?

Are you referring to the positive (red) battery cable?

pfloyd86

Cadet

yes, im am wondering where it connects to the engine?

O.T.Water

Petty Officer 3rd Class

On my 85 Hp it connects to one side of the starter switch, It may be the same as yours should be. O.T.

pfloyd86

Cadet

well I connected to what I believe is the starter switch, a two sided diamond shape block that on one side it has a positive running to the starter. but when I turned the key it was not turning the starter over. I know the starter is good because I touched the positive to it and it cranked. could my starter switch be bad?

O.T.Water

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sounds like testing time. Good Luck

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

The battery positive cable connects to the opposite side of the starter solenoid from the red wire to the starter motor. There should also be a smaller red wire or red with white stripe connecting to the battery side and the red terminal on the terminal strip near the starter motor through the circuit breaker below the terminal strip. This supplies power to the ignition switch, choke, and solenoid. Without this wire, or if the breaker is "popped" nothing will happen.

The two small terminals on the solenoid should have one yellow wire connected to one (Neutral interlock) and a black ground connected to the other small terminal. If all other wires are correct, be certain the neutral interlock switch and wires are connected and functioning. The neutral interlock is a brown micro switch located below the carbs. It has a white button that must be depressed by the shift linkage to allow the starter solenoid to be energised.

There! See if that helps.