Force 50 hp starting cold

renorich

Cadet
I have a 1988 Force 50hp that has a problem starting cold. I put one shot of starting fluid in the carb and she starts right up. For the remainder of the day it will start right away without using the starting fluid. Any suggestions of this problem and how to fix? Thank you.

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Force 50 hp starting cold

Please do not destroy your engine with starting fluid...there is NO lube for internal engine parts in starting fluid ...ok , is your choke working ?, plugs in new to fair condition ? properly gapped ? timing correct ? fuel delivery ok ? check these first and get back to us...hopefully it will be one of these easy to repair fixes......

hamburgerman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Dont ever use starting fluid on a 2 stroke I learned the hard way when I was a kid the motor blew and I mean blew into about 20 pieces

renorich

Cadet

Thank you for the info. I will check out all that you mentioned.

timdan94

Chief Petty Officer

What is your starting procedure? Are you priming the engine before trying to start?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Open fuel tank vent

Check the kill switch, place in "run" position

Squeeze fuel primer bulb till firm.

Advance the throttle 3/4 way, without putting it in gear. -- This is done by either pushing a button in the center of the controls, or pulling the shift handle toward the driver, or raising the fast idle lever, all depending on what control unit you have.

Activate the choke (fuel enrichment valve) by pushing in on the key. The valve is only open while the key is being pushed in.

Turn the key to start while continuing to hold the key in.

Release the key and choke when it starts.

3-5 seconds of "choke", is usually enough.

Be ready to pull the throttle back toward the idle/neutral position, when the engine starts and the revs increase.

Continue to pull the throttle back as the engine warms up.

You should not have to use the choke much, if at all, once the engine has warmed up.

Engine should start within 10 seconds of turning the key.