Choke Solenoid - 1989 85HP Force

thimsllib

Seaman
I recently replaced the choke solenoid and ignition switch on my boat. They were working great. When I would push I'd here that nice loud healthy "click". Then one day... for no reason at all, I push the key... and nothing. I checked the voltage from the switch, all the way to the solenoid and I'ts definitely getting juice when I push the switch. Like I said, this solenoid is brand new. Is there something that can cause it to go bad that quickly? Is there a bad ground or something? Thanks for any and all help.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Re: Choke Solenoid - 1989 85HP Force

Make sure that the case of the solenoid is making good contact to the block. This is the "ground" connection for the solenoid. If there is some paint on the block or mounting bracket, it may prevent the case of the solenoid from making a good ground connection. You can also check the solenoid itself with an ohm meter. Disconnect the 12v wire going to the solenoid and measure resistance between the 12 connection on the solenoid and the case of the solenoid. It should read around .75 ohms. Very low resistance, almost a dead short. If it reads high resistance or open (no resistance) it's bad.

chitownborn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

youre solienod may need to be adjusted, loosen the bolts on the bracket that holds the unit in place, and move the solienod up or down, untill it works goodluck don

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Also check the gaskets in front of the carbs between them and the airbox. Frequently they swell up and interfere with the choke stop levers, preventing the chokes from closing. If this is the case, either bend the choke stop levers a bit or cut away the excess gasket.

john from md

Commander

Also, the little cotter key that holds the choke rod to the carb linkage will bind if it is not cut short enough. Don't ask how I found out about that one. :D

John

thimsllib

Seaman

You guys were right. I loosened the bracket and slid the solenoid up slightly and tightened back up. Works fine. I guess it wasn't grounding. Thanks alot!