checking a lower unit for shifting probs Force 120

xpuser4real

Recruit
Is there any way to check the lower unit of my 120 Force outboard motor for shifting problems AFTER it has been removed from the motor?

The reason I ask, I had our boat repaired at an outboard shop and stressed to the mechanics that my linkeage might have got stretched causing the motor to chatter in reverse and also chatter once put back in neutral.
They supposedly checked it, called me and told me the lower unit was bad (without removing it from the motor) so I found a rebuilt one on craigslist and they replaced it for me. When they set up the motor with the new lower unit, they noticed it went into reverse and neutral fine, but had a problem going into forward. They then noticed that the linkeage bracket was bent, so they straightened it and lo & behold, the new lower unit worked fine.

So here's my dilema. When I took it in, the motor shifted real easy into forward, but when putting it in reverse it chattered and also chattered when put back in neutral.
I'm just wondering if the old lower unit was fine on my boat and just the linkeage was bent, and this venture cost me for my new lower unit as well as 4 hrs labour at $80hr for the remove and install.

Here's what happened and MAY have caused the shifting problem.

We had the boat idling in neutral between the jettys because the water was way too rough to go out fishing. The Jetty had a small chop and a 5-10mph east wind. We were in the middle and the motor shut off. The boat quickly started getting blown toward the rocks at a pretty quick pace. I frantically tried starting the boat and no luck. Finally when we were just a few feet from the rocks I got the motor running at a high rev. I JAMMED it into reverse and it started to chatter, but the boat slowly moved. My prop didn't hit any rocks.backwards...PHEW...just missed getting our boat torn apart on the rocks.
But when I got back to the loading ramp, if I put the boat in reverse it just chattered and also chattered when I put it in neutral so it didn't seem to drop into neutral...BUT...putting it into forward it worked fine and dropping it in neutral also worked with no chattering.

Does anyone know of a way to test the removed lower unit without attaching it to a motor?
I know that the oil should be checked for water and possibly metal shavings and pressure tested, but what about the shift mechanism without opening up the crankcase?

I googled alot and really didn't get a good answer, cuz if the old lower unit is fine I would have a chance of selling it and getting back some of my repair bill.
Your comments are welcome, thanks

john from md

Commander
Re: checking a lower unit for shifting probs Force 120

As you are rotating the prop, pull or push the shift link rod. I forget which way is which, you can look in your manual for that. When the shift rod is set in the middle of its travel, that is neutral.

John