1985 Force 85 Hp Alarm Problem Help ?

wmmoore

Recruit
I HAVE A 1985 FORCE 85 HP ON A 16' BAYLINER CAPRI, I HAVE RAN THE BOAT DOZENS OF TIMES FOR HOURS AT A TIME TWICE NOW THE ALARM HAS WENT OFF ? WHEN RUNNING FULL SPEED HALF SPEED OR LOW SPEED NO PROBLEMS BUT WHEN RUNNING VERY SLOW TO MARK FISHING SPOT AFTER SAY 10 TO 15 MINUTES AT THAT SPEED THE ALARM KICKS OFF, LET COOL DOWN FOR A HALF HOUR STARTS RIGHT UP AND WILL RUN FOR HOURS WITH OUT ANY ISSUES UNLESS YOU RUN THAT VERY SLOWEST SPEED FOR A LENGTH OF TIME TO LIKE MARK A FISHING SPOT OR FIND A SPOT. PLEASE ANY HELP OR SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE VERY GRATEFUL..

ALSO I HAVE A SECOND ISSUE THAT JUST STARTED LAST FEW TIMES I HAD BOAT OUT ? I HAVE THE PULL OUT TYPE CONTROLLER TO START WHEN YOU PULL IT OUT AND PUSH IT FORWARD MOTOR STARTS RIGHT UP, PUT IT BACK INTO TOP POSITION PUSH DOWN TO INJECT INTO GEAR AND SHE DIES, BUT IF YOU DO IT REALLY FAST SHE WILL TAKE OFF FINE, WORRIED ABOUT SCREWING UP THE CLUTCH DOG SHIFTING IT SO FAST AND HARD TO GET IT GOING WITHOUT IT DIEING, THOUGHT IT MY BE A IDLE ADJUST PROBLEM ? DO NOT KNOW WHERE TO MAKE THE ADJUSTMENT PLEASE HELP ? ? ? ? :eek:

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Re: 1985 Force 85 Hp Alarm Problem Help ?

Sounds like you need a new impeller in your water pump to fix the alarm problem.

Stalling when putting it into gear is not uncommon. Could be something simple idle speed is too low (do you have a tach?). Could be idle mixture is a tad too lean. Fuel re-circulation system clogged. Fuel pump diaphragm bad.

Putting it into gear quickly is the preferred method. Slowly easing the throttle into gear and allowing the clutch dogs to grind is not good for them.

Unbalanced

Petty Officer 3rd Class

First of all, your CAPS lock is on...:rolleyes:

Second, when your overtemp alarm is going off during idle, you have little or no water pressure, signaling that you need a new water pump impeller. - simple fix - don't ignore it or you'll fry your powerhead.

Third, this indicates that you are either too lean at idle, you have low compression, or weak spark. If the plugs are old, change them. If the gas is old, replace it. Check your compression and then perform a "link and sync". This will sync up your carbs with the timing and set your idle mixture/speed.

john from md

Commander

Make sure when you set the idle to 750RPM, you do so tied to the dock in forward gear.

John