Im a newbieand need help!!! Got a chrysler 45 horse motor dripping oil!!!

bigjoe2728

Recruit
Hi evry one I am new to this site and to owning a boat. I just purchased a Chrysler Sport Valiant boat with a chrysler 45 horse motor which is I guess a force motor also? I was tolsd this was a 68 but I think it is a 72 but besides that it leaks oil from the carb and from right above the lower unit and from the lower unit only when it has been moved around alot and started up is this normal or bad gaskets maybe? It also wouldnt really shoot water out when I had the muffs on it. I read on another thread this is normal for this line of motor? Any help would be appreciated!!!!

jerbear56

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Im a newbieand need help!!! Got a chrysler 45 horse motor dripping oil!!!

Sounds like a slobbering motor! Usually, the lower end leaks because someone changed the impeller and used an aftermarket kit. The oem seal is double lipped to seal water from one direction and oil from the other. Most aftermarket seals are single lipped and only seal one direction, and folks install them to seal the water out and they tend to leak a trace amount of oil.

As far as the carbs slobbering, a little bit is normal. The only way I found to stop that on my 115 was to add a relay circuit that woud dump the fuel pressure when the engine was shut off. Though I have to add it never affected the operation, just looked bad.

Good advice would be to install a new impeller with the oem seals, and if you run the engine, use one of those big tubs from wal mart filled with water. Also , make sure your overheat alarm is functioning correctly, as that is incredibly cheap insurance. Hope you enjoy the boat, and be safe!

bigjoe2728

Recruit
Re: Im a newbieand need help!!! Got a chrysler 45 horse motor dripping oil!!!

Thank you for the input I will check into that, I was worried alot and not so much now Thanks again