Help! CHRYSLER FORCE REPAIR MANUALS 1966-1999 CD is not the easiest and best ref

wickware

Lieutenant
Help! CHRYSLER FORCE OUTBOARD REPAIR MANUALS 1966-1999 CD is not the easiest and best reference compared to my Chrysler 35 HP Manuel I had in 1986. I thought it would be just as good or better and easy to use. WRONG! I guess you can say it?s better than no reference if you find what you need.

Please recommend a paper manual specific to 68-70s 35HP Chrysler motors?
Please specify flywheel nut size (NF vs NC and etc.) and torque?

I need info on checking /replacing the seal below my ignition points on my 1970 Chrysler 35HP (due to sign of oil vapor on the points and in the area). Most of all, I need info on removing the plate the points are mounted on. I replaced the points and condensers about 1986 after my 1985 purchase. I have averaged 5-8 short fishing trips per summer that I would estimate 4-6 hours of running time at the most per year. The points are not pitted or burned and no ?very bad? ill affects of starting and running but with the vapor the points are not clean. Below the plate was a little very dark grease vs the light oil look on the points and in the area.

I degreased and cleaned the area and dressed points of all the signs of oil etc off today. I plan to run the motor good (3-6 miles) and go back in to see the results. My excessive grease on all moving joints on the motor might be a contributor. Is it no doubt the seal is bad on a motor this old if it?s never been changed?

Thanks

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Help! CHRYSLER FORCE REPAIR MANUALS 1966-1999 CD is not the easiest and best ref

First you need to pull the flywheel. Then, there are four fillister head screws holding the points and capacitor plate to the lower clamp ring. Obviously, if you have an alternator, the stator must come off.

After removing the plate, the seal and points plate carrier will have four flat head screws holding it to the block. An impact screwdriver will make it easier to remove them without dicking up the slots. It also has a brass bushing in the center, that the plate rides on and this must be lightly greased.

Back to your points: It is a COMMON mistake to over-oil the lubricating wicks. They should be lightly wet but not dripping or soaked. This will sling oil and foul the points. It does not take a lot of oil to keep the points rubbing blocks from wearing.

I think the flywheel nut is 3/4 fine thread--16 or 18 TP inch. It should be torqued to around 90-90 foot pounds and it is either 15/16 or 1 1/16 wrench size.

wickware

Lieutenant
Re: Help! CHRYSLER FORCE REPAIR MANUALS 1966-1999 CD is not the easiest and best ref

Thanks Frank! You are a Master in this trade. I'll fire-up in the barrel tomorrow or before my test run/fishing. Depending on what I see after the test run, I'll go for the seal below the points. My runs are not hard, long and often enough, which is some of the problem. Plus, the fish could help to keep these "Old Etc." functioning. Joe

jerbear56

Seaman Apprentice
This is a good source!

This is a good source!

The folks at the chrysler marine website (just google "The Chrysler Crew") have engine specific factory service and parts manuals available for download for a very reasonable price.

wickware

Lieutenant

Thanks for the reply on the manuals. I missed their last paper manuals and wonder if their CDs are better than what I have? Such as:

1. The graphics Pics have too little quality to see good details.
2. Navigating to find specifics is not easy and time consuming vs a manual.
3. I have not found "charts" listing specific specs as torques & tune-up info.

I have tried to find info on a seal being under the ignition stator plate (where the points are mounted on my 1970 Chrysler 35 HP). Is a seal under the plate resisting blowby? A local parts supply here only listed a bushing.

Thanks To All Of You !!

jerbear56

Seaman Apprentice

I've gotten a few manuals as downloads from the chrysler marine website, and to be honest, they are good quality scans. They are also in pdf format so you can enlarge the picture if you need to. Obviously I highly recommend them.

As far as the parts manuals go, mercury still uses the old chrysler numbers, just have to start the number with an "F" for "Force".

wickware

Lieutenant

Please send a link that shows the seal or bushing below the 70 Chrysler 35 HP Stator plate that holds the points and etc.. Or! Please send an example from your CD or manual if that's legal. I'm still trying to see what controls blowby from getting to the points. My 07 vs 09 inspection did not show any signs of blowby. I only have approx 2 hrs of trolling to medium RPM on short trips per summer between dates. I still believe I used too much oil on the cam's wick or removing the flywheel (that w/n noticeable at the time).

Thanks

Attachments

• Boat's check-cleaning-boats-points-9-21-07  R.jpg
    Boat's check-cleaning-boats-points-9-21-07 R.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Boat 70 Chrysler 35 HP Points R.jpg
    Boat 70 Chrysler 35 HP Points R.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 0