Force 120 steering froze up

re613

Seaman Apprentice
Hello all, I have a 1994 force 120 that the steering tends to freeze up after setting a while, I pump grease into the steering fitting on the motor swivel but it seems to not be getting to the lower bearing, how can I remedy this? Russell

re613

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Force 120 steering froze up

Well I see not a lot of help here right now but can anybody tell me where I can locate a picture of the lower bearing in the pivot shaft of the steering tube? I want to install a new grease fitting lower on the pivot shaft. My manual does not give me a clear picture of this part.

foodfisher

Captain

I've got an '86 125hp and the "bearings" in it are just plastic sleeves. It was really stiff so I took it apart and found hard grease and rust . Sanded the shaft and regreased as I reassembled. It pivots so freely now that a sideways slant in the street will cause movement. Good luck with yours.

zkidd91

Recruit

I've got an '86 125hp and the "bearings" in it are just plastic sleeves. It was really stiff so I took it apart and found hard grease and rust . Sanded the shaft and regreased as I reassembled. It pivots so freely now that a sideways slant in the street will cause movement. Good luck with yours.

Thanks for your info Foodfisher. I have a 91' 85hp Force with the same issue. I inserted 6 grease inserts last season and have used a blowtorch to loosen it up the last 2 seasons. But it's frozen stiff again. I don't really want to buy another outboard and am willing to spend some time and repair myself.
Question: How difficult would you say your repair was? Did you have to take the power head off or just unbolt the swivel bracket by ways of the four bolts and cover plate? (ref my pics). Were there any parts that you needed to fabricate (since it's an oldie) to put it back together?
I appreciate any feedback you can give. I just don't want to open up a can of worms :eek: getting into it since, i could probably spend an hr or two heating it up and working it loose again.

Attachments

• 019.JPG
    019.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 018.JPG
    018.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 017.JPG
    017.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 016.JPG
    016.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 015.JPG
    015.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 1

Jiggz

Captain

zkidd you should start your own thread so you can get more personal help.

re613 I'm not sure I follow your question. Anyways, if the steering is freezing or getting stuck, you first need to isolate which part or section is causing it, i.e. is it the steering cable, tube or the steering mechanism (rack & pinion) with the steering wheel or is it the engine kingpost? By disconnecting the engine steering link rod, you should be able to tell which part is causing the hard steering.

When disconnected and the steering is still hard, then it is obvious the problem is with the steering mechanism, i,e, from the steering tube all the way back to the steering wheel's rack & pinion (if such is the system). If steering is easy when disconnected, most likely the problem is with the engine kingpost which probably need some cleaning. I clean mine without disassembly by heating it with a heat gun with zerk fitting removed and shooting it with WD 40 to remove old grease. Let it cool and re-shoot with new waterproof grease. With the link rod disconnected you can manually turn the engine with ease if the kingpost is not frozen.

foodfisher

Captain

re613 is a 4yr old post. zkidd, your own post will get answered.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Yes please start your own. You can use parts or quotes from another post but get the best results from your own.
I see you added a few grease fittings?
What kind of grease are you using?
If you used a torch you could have melted and shrunk the plastic bushing.
What might help??? Remove the bottom and top zerts,heat the mid section.
Use compressed air and blow from the top down.Trying to get all the old grease out.
I use only a good marine white lithium grease.