Water cooling ?'s - 1973 Chrysler 105 (1057-HE)

rkuffel

Recruit
Hello,

I'm really hoping you can help me...fall is just around the corner.

1973 Chrysler 105 (1057 HE)

A little background on the issue:

I was out skiing behind my boat on Thursday when I noticed that there was no water coming out of the telltale (I think that is what it is called). Anyway, I was a little concerned because since I've owned the boat I have always seen water spraying out of the telltalem holes at idle, at wot and in-between. I decided to dig into the "issue" the next day. I took the lower unit off and inspected the impeller which appeared to be in excellent shape (I will replace it prior to reassembling). I also tested the thermostat which opened at the correct temp. I was able to push compressed air through the water tube in the pump and feel it coming out the at the intake. I also pushed air through the brass water intake tube and felt air coming out the telltale. I also connected a stream of water to the intake tube and the water came out the telltale and also two holes adjacent to the intake tube. Maybe this is normal for water to come out those holes and through the trim tab.

Questions:
1. What are the (2) holes adjacent to the intake tube inside the intermediate housing where water was coming out when I connected the hose to the intake?

2. Does the spring on the thermostat face away from the powerhead? A circulation diagram in my Seloc manual shows it facing the cylinders but the instructions and photos all show the spring facing out.

3. Do the symptoms seem like there could be an issue with the water pressure relief valve?

4. If I back flush the system where do I connect the water or air source? At the thermostat housing?

Maybe there is no issue at all except my anxiety about the motor seizing up in the middle of the lake. :) Thank you so much for your patience and help!

Rob

rkuffel

Recruit
Re: Water cooling ?'s - 1973 Chrysler 105 (1057-HE)

Questions:
1. What are the (2) holes adjacent to the intake tube inside the intermediate housing where water was coming out when I connected the hose to the intake?

2. Does the spring on the thermostat face away from the powerhead? A circulation diagram in my Seloc manual shows it facing the cylinders but the instructions and photos all show the spring facing out.

3. Do the symptoms seem like there could be an issue with the water pressure relief valve?

4. If I back flush the system where do I connect the water or air source? At the thermostat housing?

Rob

It's fixed.

For anyone curious...I put a new impeller on, tested water passageways with compressed air wherever I could, flushed water through the system, checked the pressure relief valve (it was working well), put the old thermostat back in with spring facing away from the block (thermostat tested good).