1989 Force 50HP came without wiring harness

tigerhunter

Cadet
Hey everybody,

I just got a deal on a 1989 Force 50hp (507Y9B 3258). I don't pay for it until I get it running, but I only have until Thursday. I plan on getting a manual but don't have time to order one and get it here before thurs.

This did not come with any sort of wiring harness. For the battery, I connect the positive terminal to the thing (solenoid?) I circled in the picture below?

100_0151.jpg

Where do I hook the negative battery cable? Anywhere in this picture?

100_0149.jpg

What sort of ignition switch do I need? Can I get any old generic one and use a toggle switch for the choke? I do not have a tach or overheat buzzer.

I think I have the wiring of the switch down except for two wires on the terminal block. One says STOP and is black with a yellow stripe and the other is STOP 2 and is black with a blue stripe. Where do these go and what do they do?

I also don't know where the fuel fitting is but haven't really looked much yet, I am sure I can find that easy enough when the time comes.

Thanks for any help, I have been searching and have found some useful stuff but I do not want to mess anything up on this motor.

Thanks,
Trevor

tigerhunter

Cadet
Re: 1989 Force 50HP came without wiring harness

thanks, it helped a little. Still not sure what those stop wires are for and what kind of key switch to get.

jriegle04

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the stop wires are to a kill switch i believe. if connected to ground the powerpacks wont fire if open the motor will run until those are connected to ground. this is what my assumption is. search other forums for chrysler or force wiring.

catfishcarl99

Senior Chief Petty Officer

ok. 507y9b. this is a bit late for the OP but i found 2 questions answers in this thread last night i was looking for with a search of my model #. so i figure if i answer this now it will be available for future reference. this is wireing code for this motor starting from the top of the distribution terminal on the motor. not the one on coil.

top to bottom.
start---------------------yellow/red stripe or yellow
tachometer-------------grey or purple
stop---------------------black/yellow stripe or white
choke-------------------yellow/black stripe or green
overheat----------------tan or orange/green stripe
positive-----------------red/purple or red
stop 2-------------------blue/black or blue
ground------------------black

these are the both new old colors i believe is why theres 2 options. this is right off my motors guide decal on rear of block. this is not a guess. this is a correct guide from the engine itsself. im holding the overheat wire comeing from the thermoswitch in the head. was testing it.

funny thing is that white sticker on the rear of the block like 2" from that terminal block tells the codes. i over looked it when i first got mine too. the codes are on the sticker i circled in in red. and this motor takes a 6 terminal push key ignition switch. i had to replace mine when i lost my keys. i had napa order mine.

Attachments

• diagram code.jpg
    diagram code.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 100_0149.jpg
    100_0149.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 5

So.dak

Cadet
I know this post it old but I also have a 89 Force 50 HP. 507y9b. Does anyone have a picture of a diagram of how the stator and coil terminal goes.? The wires are 2 solid yellow four browns with black yelow, yelow and blue black and blue. I have the clymer manual but the wire colors do not match. This motor was tore apart when I got it they were trying to steel parts for an older motor that I got at the same time with a boat and I got that one running. This one is proving a little more challenging.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Guys - This thread is very old and very dead. Please read the Help Tip on top of the page.

So.dak - Copied your post to a new topic. The best way to get help is by not posting in an old thread because members frequently don't look at old threads, but to start a fresh new topic which jumps to the top of the forum section.. Here is a link to the new topic - http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...rds/10124161-help-with-1989-mariner-50-wiring