Force temp good bad or ugly??

gustafsonerik

Petty Officer 1st Class
88 125hp long story short.. i added a temp sensor to the powerhead and it started over heating..prop because of the restriction..anyway i removed the thermostat and now it runs at 126F wot is that to hot, normal or too cold thanks erik

moparman

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Force temp good bad or ugly??

Sounds too cold, but that's my opinion from running my 1988 125hp. I would like to see at least 150-160 degrees,other members should chime in with their experiences and opinions. Also, the motor needs that thermostat to help warm it up to operating temp so that it will make the most use of the fuel going through it .If you have to run it with the thermostat out ,then you have problems,and need to address them first. Like I said ,that's my opinion. MOPARMAN

forceboy

Seaman Apprentice

Guys, what is the best way to put in a temp gauge? Where abouts on head - replace buzzer sensor?

john from md

Commander

Put the themostat back in or the engine will run too cold. This will cause additional carbon formation and poor performance.

You can buy a Sierra temp gage kit for @ $35 and mount the sender in the plug on top of the head next to the thermostat housing. You can run a wire up to the gage or take the orange wire off your overtemp switch and horn and use it.

My 85 runs at 140 in cruise, about 150 at WOT. My overtemp switch is set for 180 degrees.

John