85 HP Force outboard-random loss of power

cpulone

Cadet
I have a Bayliner Capri with an 85 hp Force outboard. Sometimes when I am motoring along, the rpms will suddenly drop and the engine will generally shut down quickly. It restarts and then generally runs fine. It happens randomly and not every time I run the engine. Gas is fresh, new gas/water separator filter, new plugs so I am left wondering what this could be. Has anyone run into this or have any suggestions?

john from md

Commander
Re: 85 HP Force outboard-random loss of power

Is your idle in gear set at 750 rpm?

When is the last time your fuel pump and check valves were changed?

Have you decarbed the engine recently?

Tell us somemore about the history of boat and engine.

John

cpulone

Cadet

Been several years since either of those were done. Good idea. Thanks.

cpulone

Cadet

Sorry, hit send too quickly.
I have owned the boat since 2002. Run it a lot in the summer and occasionally during the winter. Much of it's use is in the ocean and the motor is well flushed with fresh water after every ocean outing. Engine fogged before putting away for any length of time. Motor has always started and run excellent so nothing out of the ordinary except what I mentioned. Idle is 750-800 rpm.

Plug wires making good contact at the distributor? Lost one cylinder this weekend on a 40 force. Got home and it was a stupid contact issue.

Have bigger issues, disregard contact.

Last edited:

moparman

Petty Officer 1st Class

for it to shut down that quickly as you say, I would lean towards it being an electrical issue.Check simple things first,give it a visual once over to make sure all wires are hooked up where they should be,no wires rubbing on block or flywheel, and go from there. Keep us posted as to what you find if anything. MOPARMAN

cpulone

Cadet

The wires appear to be firmly seated at the distributor and the same at the plug side. I checked all other wires and nothing appears to be crossed or frayed. No dirty, loose connections. I was wondering if it might be fuel pump related as when it shuts down it happens over 2-3 seconds from full rpm to zero so maybe something gets clogged. So I was going to check the fuel system. I followed the fuel line into the engine and it goes to a fitting on the side of the engine. It looks like a cast part with "filter" molded on the outside. Since I do not have a manual, I am wondering if this is the filter and/or fuel pump?

john from md

Commander

First of all, buy a Clymer Force Shop manual off of ebay or Amazon or Barnes and Noble. Believe me, it wouldn't be a waste of money.

The thing with the filter screen on it is the fuel pump housing. When you remove the six screws, the housing will come off along with the fuel pump diaphram and gasket. If you have never seen a diaphram fuel pump, it is a piece of rubber that is shaped like a snowman.

I strongly suggest that you replace the three check valves inside the fuel pump housing as well. Due to Gasahol, the poppets on these valves are swelling and starting to stick. The new valves have a different material and it doesn't swell.

The fuel pump kit is somewhere around $22 and the check valves cost $5 each.

You can get parts from iboats, www.crowleymarine.com and www.mercruiserparts.com

John

cpulone

Cadet

John,
Thank you for the advice and links. I will get on that in the next week. Definitely before I go back out.