1992 90hp Force Bogging on Acceleration

EaganJohn

Recruit
My 1992 90hp Force starts fine but when I put it in gear it clunks into gear then idles fine but when I hit the throttle to pull up a water skier, it bogs down and kills. ( I probably have (2) different issues with the bogging down and the clunking into gear) Any advice about what could me the problem with the bogging down and the problem with the clunking into gear?

divinginn

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1992 90hp Force Bogging on Acceleration

it sounds like the high speed jets in the carb are dirty,plugged up. check your spark plugs also to see if one is fouled. The clunking may be from shifter being out of adjustment.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

It is normal for a 2 stroke to bog a little, then take off.

Dying on hard acceleration is a sign of running lean, which is very bad on 2 stroke motors.
Lean condition could be caused by a dirty carb, or out of adjustment, or an air leak between the carb and the intake manifold.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Clunking when going into gear is normal if it is not excessive. You do NOT "ease" it into gear as there is no clutch to slip, only drive dogs to engage.

From a stop, in all throttle positions including full throttle, Force engines should accelerate smoothly. The exception is some engines have a "roughness" around 1500-2000 RPM at part throttle for a reason I have not yet discovered, but this is no-where near stalling or even sagging performance. The engine will pass through this range quite happily if it is running correctly.

If the engine is trying to accelerate but bogs down and dies, then it is as Roscoe said a lean run condition. If it is simply stalling, then it most likely is plugs.

Assuming that it is a lean condition, this needs to be corrected immediately, before running the engine recreationally again.

You need to remove the carbs, remove the bowls, and check the inlet needles and jets for clogging. While you have them off, you may as well clean them all. Of course, before you do this, check the fuel pump to be sure it is delivering and check for clogs or rerstrictions in the fuel line.

Next, (or, you can try this first) Set the low speed needles to 1 1/4 turns out from lightly seated on all three carbs. Now, in the water slowly lean each carb 1/8 turn and let the engine stabilize. Do this until RPM drops or the engine stalls. Next from1 1/4 turns out slowly richen the mixture until the engine loads up and stutters or stalls. The correct starting setting is midway between these two points.

NOW: Accelerate full throttle from a stop (hole shot). The engine should accelerate smoothly with no hesitation. If it sags then recovers and accelerates, it is still too lean. Open the needles 1/8 turn at a time until the engine accelerates smoothly. If it bobbles, loads up, then clears itself and accelerates, it is too rich. Close needles 1/8 turn at a time. MOST times the correct running setting will be somewhere close to 1 turn out but it could be as lean as 3/4 turn out. No matter how the engine idles, DO NOT SET LEANER than 3/4 turn. This will cause detonation at high speeds with concomitant piston and cylinder damage. Correct idle speed is 700-750 RPM in forward gear in the water.

EaganJohn

Recruit

Thanks guys; I will check my plugs and check for air leaks before I dig into the carb.