50hp Force power loss

potminer

Cadet
I am new to this forum & to the world of boating but I am somewhat familiar with an outboard engine(and learning) & fairly mechanically inclined. Please pardon me if post gets a little lengthy(want to get it all out there). Read alot of posts in the forums & sounds like I'm not the only one with this problem. When I first bought the boat I took the carb off & cleaned(looked good). Fuel was from last year but smelling it didn't smell stale(so added stabilizer). Took the boat for a run, ran & planed nicely, WOT for 10-15 mins with no trouble. 2nd time out with the boat, started & idled fine but can't get anything over 1/3 throttle. Boat hestitates, boggs down but never sputters or pops. It does stall if I don't back off on throttle quick enough. Boat will plane if engine is still not fully warmed up then quickly hestitates, boggs down but never sputters or pops. Had boat out on water several times with no luck since doing the following.
Things I have tried with no luck:
Fresh fuel(mixed 50:1 + 1 can Sea Foam carb cleaner)
Cleaned carb again(looked good)
New spark plugs
Checked float setting(7/8" from bottom of carb to bottom of float farthest from float hinge or level with bowl gasket seat/bottom of carb)(seems ok)
Primer bulb is firm after a couple sqeezes
Vent on tank is opened
Both plugs have good spark when engine is cranked over
Tried switching plug wires around with no luck(won't start)

:confused:Thinking problem may be ignition coil/cd module. Thinking of getting coils load tested if possible. Any help or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

potminer

Cadet
Re: 50hp Force power loss

Checked compression this morning & ok(150psi on both cylinders)
Good spark on both spark plugs
Installed new primer bulb
Will spray 1 can Sea Form Deep Creep Air Intake Cleaner into carb later today
:confused:Hopeful the above mentioned will solve the problem. Will keep posted with results.

potminer

Cadet

Well I sprayed 1 can Sea Foam Deep Creep into carb while on high idle. Seems to idle smoother. See if problem persist during next run. Lot of sludge oozed out of anode/exhaust port when engine was loaded with Deep Creep & shut down for 5 mins.
Apon idling engine after Deep Creep treatment(with ear muffs & water on) I noticed water/gear oil(?) leaking out of small hole beside bolt that mounts lower unit to upper unit. The bolt I'm discribing is directly above the vent plug on lower unit. Am I correct to say that the hole beside the bolt is not supposed to be there? Is the hole from wear/heat/corrosion? Looking for feedback from knowledgeable members.
:confused:Thinking of sealing hole with high temp "Form-A-Gasket" & checking lower unit oil for water & change if necessary if feedback proves that hole should not be there.

potminer

Cadet

Talked with force outboard service tech & he stated hole beside bolt is normal so won't seal with "Form-A-Gasket". Good thing I phoned. Hope I'm not the only one doing the posting here.

flagsdown

Recruit

potminer is there any chance i can get ahold of that number for service tech got a couple things i would like to ask him i cant find an exhaust snout for my 1988 50hp good luck with boat

Jeremy90bay

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a 1990 50hp and have been told by many to do a decarb when it gets like that. for some reason these motors get some heavy build up. good luck.

potminer

Cadet

Thanks Jeremy90bay
Yeah I really think/hope that the decarb I performed will do the trick. Find out in a few days when I take it for a run. Lots of greyish sludge oozed out of exhaust snout after decarbbing.

moparman

Petty Officer 1st Class

potminer, you might need to put a fuel pump kit in your pump. Sounds to me like your running out of fuel.It's not hard to do, and I consider it a must to replace along with the impeller every few years.If you just got the boat, and you have no idea when they were replaced last,you might want to replace them ,and that way you know when it was done last,and might solve your fuel starvation problem. Just my two cents worth

potminer

Cadet

Thanks moparman
As for the fuel pump, I took it apart to check and looks ok. Tore carbon fiber gasket between spacer & cover kit. So have to wait for new gasket & going to change diaghram(looked good) & rubber diaphram gasket as well. Is this what you mean when you say new fuel pump kit(gaskets & diaphram)? When fuel pump is off & I squeeze primer bulb, fuel squirts from check valve closest to fuel intake. Think the other 2 check valves open when fuel pump is connected & motor sucking fuel from them. Correct me if I'm wrong.

potminer

Cadet

Well I took the boat for a run today and no go. Think now I'll try replacing the needle & seat. When at WOT and engine started to bog I choked it and it took right off. When flipping choke to off then it was starving for fuel. Will keep you all posted.

potminer

Cadet

Well took carb off again & this time I disconnected the float. Needle was kinda wedged in the seat. Wasn't gummed up or anything but had to use tweezers to get it out. May have gotten pressed in the seat somehow maybe when I was cleaning the carb? Rubber tip on needle has slight indentation(ring) where it had been over pressed into the seat. Will get new needle tomorrow, put carb back together & take it for a run if weather ok. Also rigged a tell-tale today thanks to Mark42's post/pics("Can I add a tell-tale to the Force"). Anxious to see how things work. Will keep you's posted. :)

Jeremy90bay

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well I took the boat for a run today and no go. Think now I'll try replacing the needle & seat. When at WOT and engine started to bog I choked it and it took right off. When flipping choke to off then it was starving for fuel. Will keep you all posted.

I here people say " I choked the engine" and you said "when I flipped the choke off" Is there a switch that does this or are you doing this right on the motor. sorry for making a question in your post I was just wondering. mine says Crossfire fuel injection so I dont have this correct?

potminer

Cadet

NP. Mine is a crossfire injection as well. To choke the engine, turn ignition key to on position then push key in. Apon this action you'll hear a "click" which comes from the engine(carb). This closes the front butterfly on the carb causing the carb/engine to choke(which gives more fuel to engine). To choke while at WOT just push in the ignition key. Hope this helps.

Jeremy90bay

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thank you I never knew that was there. maybe this will help with it starting. Thank you again.

potminer

Cadet

So ordered needle for carb on Friday of last week. Only live 1hr. from shipper. Thought I'd probrably get needle in mail on Monday of this week or at latest Tueday. Phoned on Tuesday to confirm that needle was shipped. Shipper confirmed with a "Uh...Yeah". Asked if it was shipped on Monday. Shipper replied "Uh...Yeah". Today is Thursday and still no needle. Asked PO how long it should take to ship from 1hr. away. Was told "Oh...It should have made it here by now for sure". Phoned shipper again today and was told "Yeah, got it here, ready to ship tomorrow". I said I had phoned Monday to confirm it had been shipped and was told "Uh...Yeah". Shipper replies "We've been busy". I reply "I've been waiting. So I was lied to on Monday when I phoned"? Shipper: "Not necesarily lied to". Me: "What would you call it"? Shipper: SILENCE. "So what do you want to do now"? Me: Send it"! Shipper: "Ok, I'm sending it now. I'm leaving to send it right now".

Wow! I'm I ever f*#!'n livid! Long weekend coming up and still no boat. We'll see if I get the needle in mail tomorrow.
Sorry, just had to vent. :mad:

gunner1

Petty Officer 1st Class

So ordered needle for carb on Friday of last week. Only live 1hr. from shipper. Thought I'd probrably get needle in mail on Monday of this week or at latest Tueday. Phoned on Tuesday to confirm that needle was shipped. Shipper confirmed with a "Uh...Yeah". Asked if it was shipped on Monday. Shipper replied "Uh...Yeah". Today is Thursday and still no needle. Asked PO how long it should take to ship from 1hr. away. Was told "Oh...It should have made it here by now for sure". Phoned shipper again today and was told "Yeah, got it here, ready to ship tomorrow". I said I had phoned Monday to confirm it had been shipped and was told "Uh...Yeah". Shipper replies "We've been busy". I reply "I've been waiting. So I was lied to on Monday when I phoned"? Shipper: "Not necesarily lied to". Me: "What would you call it"? Shipper: SILENCE. "So what do you want to do now"? Me: Send it"! Shipper: "Ok, I'm sending it now. I'm leaving to send it right now".

Wow! I'm I ever f*#!'n livid! Long weekend coming up and still no boat. We'll see if I get the needle in mail tomorrow.
Sorry, just had to vent. :mad:

For me, the worse part is the being lied to. If you're busy, you're busy. It happens. Just tell me that and I'll be ok with it. But DO NOT friggin' lie to me! That's not any way to run a business!!

potminer

Cadet

So I waited a week for needle to come in mail from shipper then finally drove to city and got one myself from another supplier. Sent needle back to shipper when I finally got the first one in the mail.
Changed out needle and took the boat to the lake and crossed my fingers. The boat ran great. Never skipped a beat. Pulled the kids around on the tube and got some fishing in. Burnt a tank of fuel through the boat. New needle did the trick. Just wanted to keep you all posted. Enjoy the rest of your summer. Cheers! :D