1990 Force 120 Outboard electrical problem

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander
Hi all , this is my first post . I recently was GIVEN a 1990 Bayliner Capri Cuddy , 19.5 ft with a dead 120 Force outboard that the boat was equipped with by Bayliner. When I received the boat , the powerpack , flywheel , stator had been removed but were laying on the floor of the boat. After reassembly , I was able to get the engine to crank , sluggishly , and with no spark. HELP !
Any help would be appreciated. I am an auto mechanic by trade , and have some knowledge of outboards. Thanks in advance for any help!

bustermin

Banned
Re: 1990 Force 120 Outboard electrical problem

Hi all , this is my first post . I recently was GIVEN a 1990 Bayliner Capri Cuddy , 19.5 ft with a dead 120 Force outboard that the boat was equipped with by Bayliner. When I received the boat , the powerpack , flywheel , stator had been removed but were laying on the floor of the boat. After reassembly , I was able to get the engine to crank , sluggishly , and with no spark. HELP !
Any help would be appreciated. I am an auto mechanic by trade , and have some knowledge of outboards. Thanks in advance for any help!

Did the person that gave it to you say why the motor had been taken apart? That may be a clue as to what is needed. Also, what do you mean when you say "sluggishly" do you mean it turns sluggishly? If that?s the case it may be dry internally, take the plugs out spray some WD-40 to lubricate the cylinders. If it?s not turning fast enough, that could be the reason for no spark. Until you get the motor to turn correctly, you can not correctly troubleshoot any problems, so first thing is to figure out why its not turning.

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

Thank You for your fast reply. The powerpack had been removed due to a no spark situation. I had removed plugs and lubed cylinders, engine spins like a bandit without plugs installed, burt turns very slowly with them installed, lets hope that means good compression ! Are there common problems on this engine concerning the powerpack ?

bustermin

Banned

how fast does it turn when the plugs are installed? I think it requires around 300rpm to create spark. If your not getting that, then check all electrical connections, and remove the starter and see if the brushes are clean. If your not turning the motor fast enough, you can not troubleshoot the ignition system properly.