86/88 Force 125 Dreaded pivot screw associated shifting problems?

Outboardretard

Recruit
Ahh the webs we weave when we don't have the manual to read! Been having shifting problems with model# 1258V6A, ever since I removed the pivot screw to drain the L/U. The problem occurs when trying reverse in the water, it won't begin to engage until the throttle is 1/2 way back, at which point she is revving pretty good. I took to a mech and with out removing the L/U he was leaning towards a torn up Shift dog. So I bought a manual, and realized that both times I have changed the lube I shouldn't have removed the pivot screw! Both times have had no problems getting the pivot screw back in. I have noticed that the shift rod that disappears underneath the bottom carb has about a 1/8inch of play up and down.

Fwd seems to be almost perfect, maybe a tad bit too far fwd before it engages. But once I'm engaged in fwd, she'll stay there all day if I dont move it. She runs strong and fast. Is just kind of embarrassing not having reverse in certain situations.

Reverse, I think if I remember correctly I can engage it with the motor off, and start it up, but it is going too fast in reverse for me to trust it from a dead start. So I don't often try.

Final question with the pivot screw. Will it only go back in, in one position, or will it engage in multiple positions after removal with linkage undisturbed, possibly explaining why reverse is a pain to get into? Thanks for your time.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: 86/88 Force 125 Dreaded pivot screw associated shifting problems?

If the screw went back in and the lower unit shifts then you have no problem there. You may, however have several other minor problems contributing to poor shifting.

First, there should be a large stainless quick-connect attaching the throttle cable to the block. This quick-connect screws onto the cable and when the control handle is straight up, the center of the connect should be pulled out about 1/4 to 3/8 inch. This allows the shift linkage to move before the throttle starts to open.

Second: The shift linkage should not be biased too far forward. If you turn the prop by hand in neutral and you hear clicking as the prop turns, then the linkage is biased too far forward. This means that the engine either will not go into reverse OR the reverse dogs will not fully engage until the engine starts to accelerate. Sound faniliar? If this is the case, since forward is down, adjustment is to raise the shift rod located under the carb. A little goes a ling way so do 1/2 turn at a time. Loosen the top nut then tighten the bottom against the link. Repeat until neutral is centered and the engine shifts properly into both gears. You did mention PLAY in the rod. This is not acceptable. the two nuts should lock the rod tight to the linkage. With 1/8 play, since forward is down and functioning correctly, then the top nut has worked loose and you are not getting full throw to reverse. If it is not a self locking nut, replace it with one.

Alternately, IF---If the lower shift rod was not screwed into the lower unit all the way, you can remove the pin and cotter and screw it down 1/2 turn at a time. It is a little easier than getting a wrench under the carb, but if it is already all the way down, you will not have adjustment there.

Outboardretard

Recruit
Re: 86/88 Force 125 Dreaded pivot screw associated shifting problems?

Mr. Acampora, you are the man. I appreciate that you took the time to impart your knowledge. Thankyou.