91' Force 50 HP...Prop Turning when motor is cold!!!

hondakillrsx

Seaman
Hey guys,
Im new to the forum so don't kill me if i've done something wrong. I have a 50 horse force motor that i've noticed has a problem when i start it up while cold. for some reason the prop turns just enough to move the boat forward while choked or in neutral. Now it seems that when the motor starts to warm up it stops spinning...???? This has to be an easy diagnose for someone that knows what they are doing! :) PLEASE any help would be appreicated, trying to get this fixed by the weekend...

Lane

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: 91' Force 50 HP...Prop Turning when motor is cold!!!

The boat is actually moving?

Often times a prop will turn slowly when in neutral.
Caused by the spinning driveshaft in the lower unit, churning away in the lube.
It usually won't have the power to move the boat though.

hondakillrsx

Seaman

The boat is actually moving?

Often times a prop will turn slowly when in neutral.
Caused by the spinning driveshaft in the lower unit, churning away in the lube.
It usually won't have the power to move the boat though.

Ok so last night I went out to get a better understanding of what was going on and have a little better understanding, which makes a lot more sense now. So the what is happening is after you put the boat into gear and back off into neutral it still stays in gear. Now if I back it out of neutral, toward the reverse (but not all the way into reverse) the prop stops and I can then put it back into neutral and it does not turn until I put it back into gear. So the problem is that after it has been in gear, unless I put it into "semi" reverse It stays in gear. What had me confused was it was doing it when I started the boat up while it was choked. Which all that that means is the last time I had it started it was in gear. I hope this all makes atleast a little sense.....

-Lane

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Ok, sounds like the cable needs to be adjusted a little, where it connects to the motor. There is a threaded coupler on the end of the cable where it attaches to the motor. I can't remember which way it needs to be turned without looking at it, but you should be able to figure it out.

hondakillrsx

Seaman

Thanks, that is the adjustment i was leaning toward last night. I'll let you know if that does it.

-Lane