1998 90 HP Force stuck in forward gear

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay_Hatch

Recruit
I have a 1998 90hp force that I got last summer, to make a long story short, this is my problem: It is stuck in forward gear, the motor runs great but will not shift out of forward gear, not even into neutral. I've taken off the cowl and looked at the throttle and shift cables (which are new) and they look to be connected and moving when the control is pushed in either direction. Is this something that can be fixed with an adjustment or something more serious?:confused:

Doug Market

Cadet
Re: 1998 90 HP Force stuck in forward gear

I'm having this same problem and was curious if you figured out what has caused your issue?

hondakillrsx

Seaman

I had this problem a while back and it is mostlikely an linkage adjustment. see if it will come out of gear if you bring the throttle back out of neutral, kinda in reverse but not all the way. If that is the case, open the cover and find the throttle linkage end which should have a ball cup on it with an ajustment. I cant remember which way to turn it but that is what needs to be adjusted. If it still doesn't come out of gear you might want to bring it to someone because it could be pretty serious but most of the time it is a linkage issue. hope that helps.

john from md

Commander

Disconnect the shift rod at the forward section of the bottom leg. Try pulling up and pushing down on the rod while turning the prop to see if it moves easily. If it doesn't your problem is with the lower unit.

If it does, disconnect the shift cable under the cowl. Move the shift lever and see if it moves freely, if not, you may have lubrication problem in the upper linkage. If it works freely, your problem is with your cable or the cable rigging.

John

Doug Market

Cadet

Thanks guys, my problem is my cable. The "stopper" that holds the cable in place on the control has broken. I'm going to replace the cable and go from there.

mikefoye

Cadet
IMG_4223.JPG I have a 1999 Force 90 HP 2-Stroke that had a latter version (maybe a year or two) Mercury Control box put on my 1999 Pontoon Boat. My problem is that the Throttle lever drifts back when I open up to speed. I have to hold it in place (with velcro strip) to keep it from backing up and slowing the engine down. Local mechanic said he cannot find a tension screw adjustment on the control box. Any ideas or help would be most appreciated. My first posting - don't know if I have done this right and I don't know how to retrieve an answer. mikefoye@sbcglobal.net

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
6 years old and inactive. Read the Help Tip on top of the page and start a new thread. A suggestion - Don't ask people to email you. The forum works with the free flow of ideas and email you deprives all those who share the knowledge. And the smart ones won't email because they have no idea who you are.

Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.