1976? 75hp Chrysler O/B Turn key and nothing happens (sometimes)

Mathman

Recruit
I took my boat out last summer and occasionally I would turn the key in the ignition and nothing would happen, just silence! I would have to jump the solenoid to start it. Just before winterizing the boat I replaced the solenoid. I took the boat out for the first time this summer last Saturday. It started and ran great all day. Sunday I started and ran it for a little while but the second or third time I tried to start it I got nothing. I had to jump the solenoid again. I took it home and charged the battery. Took it out Monday. It started fined. Ran around the lake for 15-20 minutes then stopped to fish. When it was time to quit, nothing. Had to jump the solenoid again. On the way home Tuesday I stopped at a boat shop thinking maybe I should buy a new ignition. The owner thought it was the solenoid until I told him it was new solenoid, then he didn't really have a suggestion. He said he really didn't think a new ignition would be of any help! So, anyone have any ideas?

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Re: 1976? 75hp Chrysler O/B Turn key and nothing happens (sometimes)

Safety interlock switch out of adjustment? Follow the small yellow wire (may be a different color on your set up) that comes off of the solenoid. It should run over to a small micro switch mounted near the carburetor linkage. The linkage engages the switch in the neutral position. If you move the throttle out of the neutral position, it disengages the switch preventing you from starting the motor in gear. The holes in the bracket that the switch is mounted on are elongated so that you can adjust it back and forth.

If the switch is adjusted properly it just may be dirty or need to be replaced. You can use some contact cleaner with one of those spouts and spray it into the switch to clean.

Jack Daniels

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1976? 75hp Chrysler O/B Turn key and nothing happens (sometimes)

On mine the neutral saftey switch causes me to have the same problem. All i do to fix it is with the engine off, pull the shift lever all the way to reverse and then back to neutral and it should fire up. If not go back all the way to reverese then all the way to forward then back to neutral. Works for me everytime without any repairs or cost. Good luck.