1998 Force 75HP electrical problem

matcor9925

Cadet
Hello,

I'm seeking someone expertise with an issue I'm having. I would be eternally grateful to anyone that can help as I've spent a lot of hours troubleshooting.

The problem began a few weeks ago when I tried cranking my outboard and noticed that the starter was turning slowly. I made sure the battery was charged up and that all electrical connections were corrosion-free but still had the same issue. I tried replacing the battery and all battery/electrical connections to the starter- but I still saw the same issue. I replaced the starter and now the starter spins very quickly but the bendix gear does not engage the flywheel. I then tried moving the negative battery cable to a ground point on the opposite side of the engine block and the bendix gear engaged just fine and the motor cranked right up. How would I even begin to repair the bad ground point on my engine block?

Here is a picture of the main engine ground. When my neg battery cable is connected here, the starter spins but the bendix gear does not engage the flywheel:

10if7zq.jpg

Here is a picture of the ground point on the opposite side of the engine block. When my neg battery cable is connected here, the starter operates properly and the engine cranks right up:

makzfs.jpg

Thank you for viewing!

perna00

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1998 Force 75HP electrical problem

In theory, if one part of the engine block is grounded; the rest should be grounded just the same. Both of your connecting points look decent and I'm sure you cleaned them prior to installing the cable to them. The only thing I can think of is if by some chance you have a small break in your wire and when the wire is bent to reach the other side; you have a better connection. Just a thought though

matcor9925

Cadet

perna00,

What you're saying makes sense. I have however, installed new battery cables and have actually tried multiple new cables so I don't think that's it (I definitely could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time). Is it possible that the main ground point (picture 1) somehow physically disconnected from the rest of the engine ground system? Thanks.

perna00

Petty Officer 1st Class

It is possible; not usually though. Just install a short cable connecting the two points you pictured and install your cable back to the original spot. Might even inprove the boats performance.

john from md

Commander

Do what Perna said. These engines are known for ground problems. Most of us double ground the coils and CDI boxes. Just make a good jumper and connet the two points. Use a good copper or nickel braided wire though.

John

matcor9925

Cadet

Thanks guys. I'll try jumpering the two points and reply with the results.

matcor9925

Cadet

Ok. I tried jumpering the two points and still having the same issue. I'm thinking about just tearing the whole thing apart and rebuilding it at this point, this just isn't making sense.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Is the original ground part of the solenoid? Hard t tell in the picture.
Also have you checked the cannon plug and cleaned those connections?
Just guessing at this point...

matcor9925

Cadet

The original ground is not part of the solenoid. Good idea on the cannon plug...I will inspect that tonight. Thanks.