'89? Force 50. Please identify this part!

bioman

Seaman Apprentice
I cooked what I think is a coil, but haven't been able to track down a replacement. I'm not certain what year the engine is. 1987-1992? Force 50.

Photos attached. Looks like a black rectangle, with with mounting screws at right and left. Four 14-guage wires and one spark plug wire emerge from unit.
Part is lower of 2 coils (?), but NAPA replacement part looks very different. Trouble is, these are mounted very close together and doesn't look like a different orientation is possible. Roscoe/ Eurolarva can you help me identify this part and possibly where to get a replacement? None of the pictures I"ve seen of Force coils look like this.

Thanks!

stevensmithnc

Seaman
Re: '89? Force 50. Please identify this part!

I dont see the picture but here is a link to buy what i think you are talking about. I have had them priced anywhere from $400 from dealers for new ones down to $75 for used ones then i finally found it here for 73. http://standardmagneto.com/Marine/forceparts.html then click on the very top one. I hope this is it

bioman

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Steve! That's it! I don't know why I had such trouble finding it.
fyi, I found a used one at Shipwreck Marine, Rancho Cordova,Ca for even less...

Bioman

stevensmithnc

Seaman

Its very hard to find....It took me like two weeks to find a good deal. unless its a lot cheaper i would buy the new one because coils seem to go bad for no reason sometimes with age in my experience