1990 Force 120 hp not shifting.

GatorzBack2Back

Seaman Apprentice
I saw the other thread about the impeller replacement causing the boat not to shift out of forward. Let me fill in some details and maybe you guys can tell me if I have the same issue.

I bought a boat last week that ran for the guy all last season. I know the guy well, so I trust what he tells me. At the end of the season, he got it serviced, and they put in a new water pump and impeller. Then he towed it home, covered it, and it sat for the winter. When I went to pick it up last week, that was the first time it had been started since he brought it home. Now, I am cleaning the boat, and I sit down in the seat, and with the engine off, I move the controls. The safety button seems to be already pushed in, and the control moves forward, no problem. Then, I go to shift it into neutral, and the button doesn't seem to want to pop back out. Also, it won't move any further back than top dead center. (12 noon on a clock) No amount of wiggling and jiggling will get the button to disengage, or the control to go backwards into reverse.

So, I take it to the shop this morning to get some wiring checked out since I don't play with electricity, and I ask them to take a look. The guy calls me this afternoon and tells me that there seems to be something major wrong since it won't shift out of forward. And once he did get it out, then it wouldn't shift out of reverse. Since it was storming this afternoon, he said he would get back to it first thing in the morning.

So, my question is this: Is this another case of things not being lined up properly when the lower unit was put back on? Or maybe the controls are messed up? Sounds like the first option is more common than the second. This mechanic is new to me, and he seemed to be trying to pull one over on me until I started talking technical and he seemed to change his tune, and the repairs he was suggesting started getting much less expensive. Funny how I suddenly didn't need a $300 Kneuter Valve, huh? :rolleyes: So, when I talk to him tomorrow, I am hoping that it only needs an hour of labor charge, compared to a $250 control box, or a $??? lower unit.

What do you guys think??? :confused::confused::confused: