how to hot wire to test compression 150 hp force

shawpdx1

Petty Officer 1st Class
No harness. was thinking I could jump the starter to check compression. ground to block and put positive to starter? would this turn it over
thanks

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: how to hot wire to test compression 150 hp force

Much less sparking if you attach the battery cables, positive to solenoid and negative to the block. Then, use a screwdriver to jump from the positive battery cable on the solenoid to the yellow or positive start wire on the solenoid. (Don't remember if the 150 uses different colored start wires)

You are then only using that smaller amount of current to close the solenoid. It will still spark, but not nearly as much.

Careful, if there is any fuel present and if the plugs are not removed, the engine will start and run with the wiring cable to the dash removed.

Be certain to ground all plugs/wires if they are removed to prevent any possible damage to the CD boxes.

shawpdx1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: how to hot wire to test compression 150 hp force

Ive asked this before and not sure if I understood. I have a 1985 85hp force I picked up this 150 hp looks like the trim/tilt off the 150 hp will bolt up to my 85hp
Also the lower unit looks the same will this bolt on as well? is there going to be a different gear ratio? trying to get what parts I can use and sell the rest
thanks