Force 90 - Choke Solenoid and Sticky Controls

daspin

Seaman Apprentice
Problem 1:
Choke solenoid gives only a little nudge when I push the key. BUT... If I give it a little help by pushing the plunger it only a fraction of an inch, it will engage all the way every time, and engage the choke. I was just going to go ahead and order a new solenoid, but figured I would ask you experts first if there something I should adjust or check first because although the pasrt s only $37, shipping is $42 to Canada!. Because it does work, but like I said, only if I dont let it come all the way back. (what I have done for now is adjust the little rod on the carb so the lunger never returns all the way) Works like that, but it's obviously not ideal.

Problem 2:
Sticking controls. I can go from Neutral to high idle setting easy enough, but when I engage it into gear, it takes alot of force on the control. Once it clunks in there it adjusts fine until I try and go the other way back to reverse. Theres a sticking point there I've looked at the mechanisms like under the flywheel and to the side of the motor but theres nothing noticable.

What should I check?

Thanks in advance!!

Tech-9

Cadet
Re: Force 90 - Choke Solenoid and Sticky Controls

I would guess the solenoid is shot. not allowing it to close works till you get a part/ but i'd probably let it close and push on it when u need choke till you get a new one. leaving it engaged slightly means you are still somewhat choking the engine, robbing it of some air and HP

and with your "sticky shifting", i'm going to have to blame that on your shift cables not being adjusted properly.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

The year of your outboard is important so any info you can give will help.On older models.If you spray WD40 into the choke and spray the piston then try to use it and keep spraying it might free up.Sometimes they get dirty from no use or setting.
Sticky shifting is probably a bad shift cable.The fast idle is controlled by the throttle cable.Unhook it and see if it is still hard to shift.Usually they should be replaced as lubing them is only temporary.J

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Before you replace the solenoid, check all three gaskets between the air box and the carb fronts. These gaskets frequently either swell or are not quite properly adjusted. In either case, they will contact the stop arm on the choke butterfly rod. This puts just enough resistance to stop the solenoid from pulling in.

Once you move the choke butterflies about 1/16 to 1/8 inch, they clear the gaskets and the choke works fine.

If this is the case, the either move the gaskets a bit or using a razor knife, trim them where they interfere. You can do this without removing the airbox.

Sometimes the stop tab is actually hitting the airbox or dragging on the carb casting. In that case, you can also take a small pliers and bend the stop tab just a little so it clears the gasket, airbox, or carb, whichever is causing the interference.

If the engine goes into high idle easily, then the problem is with the shift cable or the adjustment. Remove the quick-connect of the shift cable at the engine end. Now work the control. If the shift functions easily and smoothly, then the cable is not the cause. In this case, check the synchronizing of the shift and throttle. If they are improperly adjusted, the shift mechanism will hang-up on the stop cam for high idle. Look for drag marks on this cam (the one on the bottom of the tower).

HOWEVER: If you do not have a sufficient loop in the cable at the engine end, It will also cause hard shifting only with the cable attached to the engine. For best opweration, the cabl;es should be long enough to have a 1 1/2-2 foot loop in the splashwell. If you order new cables account for this extra length needed.

If the cable is still difficult to move when disconnected from the engine, then replacement is necessary.

daspin

Seaman Apprentice

thanks so much guys for the responses. I am printing your responses and will check out this stuff tommorrow.

Anyone know where I can order a choke solenoid from Canada if I need it? Paying $42 shipping for a $37 part sucks..

Jerry, The engine is a 1990 Force 90

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Post a pic I might have one.J